appistos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

delfino

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok,so i have a pair of orange flash appistos for bout 2 months and everything seems to be fine but lately i hardley see the female anymore.she used to be out swimming around now she doesnt really come out of her littl cave sha hangs out in.i looked for eggs or fry but nothing.thinking maybe shes sick.well i was wondering if she goes,we he still be his happy colorful self.i cant find anybody that would sell me two females alone.does anyone know where i can get just females?hope she lives.any imput will be greatly appreciated!
Delfino:p

The male might be picking on her some. Some female Apistos are quite fiesty, but others can get picked on by males. Pairs sold together, unless they are a proven breeding pair, may not always get along.

I'm not sure where you can get just females. Stores tend to sell males alone more than females since they are more colorful. ApistoDave on Aquabid.com will sell you a female, but you'd have to have them shipped and unless you were buying more, it wouldn't be worth it for just 1 apisto.

Sorry I couldn't help more. Maybe others will have more ideas.

well ive been watching them closely and the male looks like he wants some,ya know what i mean,he displays all the time when hes near her but doesnt really act aggresive towards her.only time will tell i guess.thanks

well peeps i found my female dead today.its a sad day!so i guess he will live on his own for now.

This can happen I definitely recommend multiple females to males. The best thing to do is make sure there is alot of decor that breaks down the sight line from one fish to another so that the females can get away. The male was showing signs of interest in your case that is precisely what my male would perform for his preferred female. When I had a few successful spawns when I kept these fish they laid the eggs on the wall of a hole in some driftwood. The eggs are red. The female was yellow before and very very yellow after spawning with the male. Cave like spots are great for the fish I would offer multiple caves at least 3 to give them some choice. Lots of plants and multiple caves along with very good water quality and high quality feeding will provide the conditions to benefit the likelihood of a spawn with these fish.

Back
Top Bottom