Aqua clear filter 110

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stang23456

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it necessary to run the bio max and carbon pad with my filter ?

So just the large sponge ? Why do they provide the bio max and carbon ?

So just the large sponge ? Why do they provide the bio max and carbon ?

Carbon is used to remove meds, if it was me I'd stick it away so if you ever need it you have it. Carbon is only good (lasts while being used) a few days then it starts releasing what it took out of the water back in.

The bio max is good to use to grow bacteria on but you can replace it with bio balls, stars or ceramic rings. I would just use it sense ya have it.

So use the bio max and sponge ? When would the carbon be useful then ?

Yea I would say use the sponge and bio max. With the carbon just hold onto it in safe keeping. You may need it some time after using meds

Wouldn't you want the meds to stay in the water instead of being trapped by the carbon ?

Carbon is used to take meds out of the water. So if you ever need to treat your tank then youll have it for when your done treating

So use the bio max and sponge ? When would the carbon be useful then ?

I believe the biomax is just for initial tank set up to establish good bacteria in tank. After that you will want an ammonia remover to help keep nitrate levels in check in between water changes. As for the carbon it not only takes meds out but keeps water looking clear as well. depending on how frequent/quality of water changes are you can choose to use these or not

I believe the biomax is just for initial tank set up to establish good bacteria in tank. After that you will want an ammonia remover to help keep nitrate levels in check in between water changes. As for the carbon it not only takes meds out but keeps water looking clear as well. depending on how frequent/quality of water changes are you can choose to use these or not

I agree with carbon keeping water clear. I run a 110 on one of mine and even rinse it a couple rounds due to reg water changes and feel I would lose bio filtration over chem when it comes to an established tank.

A properly cycled tank won't need ammonia remover, that's what beneficial bacteria is for and if you don't use the bio max the BB won't have a stable place to colonize, using charcoal is personal preference, but you really need to run some kind of ceramic rings(bio max) or bio balls something like that

+1...A properly cycled tank won't need ammonia remover, that's what beneficial bacteria is for and if you don't use the bio max the BB won't have a stable place to colonize, using charcoal is personal preference, but you really need to run some kind of ceramic rings(bio max) or bio balls something like that
you need to keep the bio max media so the BB colonizes the large surface area of the porous ceramic media (sponge also has lots of surface area). Don't use additives to remove ammonia. A properly cycled tank will have enough BB to convert ammonia into Nitrites and concert Nitrites into Nitrates. Polishing pads work well to make your water crystal clear.

Back
Top Bottom