AqualClear vs. Tetra vs. Marineland HOB Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dirt Diggler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Tetra Whisper 60 and I'm looking to put a second HOB filter on my 45 Gal cichlid build is only because they seem to LOVE playing in the current. All 3 have gotten good reviews, but which do you prefer and why?

Last edited:
I have a marineland and an AC. AC is way quieter and way cheaper - plus if you ever need to remove carbon, AC is way easier to do so. Marineland output hangs way lower so less splash if the tank is filled to the top. The bio wheel really does seem to work well though.

I use ac's for years prior to getting out of the hobby, but now that I've returned I have several marinelands running with poly fill only along with the biowheels and I love them. They are quiet as can be.

I know Aqueon wasn't mentioned, but most are comparable anyways. What Aqueon excels in is customer service. Aqueon's lifetime guarantee is just that, lifetime. I had a 20+ year old heater that went kablooey, it was under an old brand name, mind you that Aqueon purchased and they honored the guarantee. With no issues. Companies like this deserve my business. Aqueon HOB are less expensive than marineland & fluval, a buck more than aquaclear but more powerful dollar for dollar. The filtering system area will except other cartridges or your own homemade media.

I know Aqueon wasn't mentioned, but most are comparable anyways. What Aqueon excels in is customer service. Aqueon's lifetime guarantee is just that, lifetime. I had a 20+ year old heater that went kablooey, it was under an old brand name, mind you that Aqueon purchased and they honored the guarantee. With no issues. Companies like this deserve my business. Aqueon HOB are less expensive than marineland & fluval, a buck more than aquaclear but more powerful dollar for dollar. The filtering system area will except other cartridges or your own homemade media.

Neither Aqueon, nor Fluval were mentioned. I see your insight on the Aqueon filters. Anyone else got info on those brands? The Aqueon is actually the cheapest so far by a few dollars.

I think the noise level on the marineland varies by size because the water is passing over the biowheel, the larger the biowheel, the more sound it seems to make. I have the 200 and the 150 (on two different tanks) - the 150 is silent. The 200 (this is my second 200) is on the same tank as my AC and its more noisey (all water movement sounds by a small mechanical hum too).

If you use the filters that the company wants you to use (not necessary - but I like carbon) then marineland is much more expensive as you can't really clean them and reuse them that much. Buying a sponge to fit would be cheaper but I haven't found a good size for my 200.

I haven't really had much maintenance needs on any of them.

Am I missing something? Fluval is an AquaClear. I have a Fluval AquaClear.

Am I missing something? Fluval is an AquaClear. I have a Fluval AquaClear.

Aqua clear and fluval. I believe are two different brands. Fluval is a European brand and is more expensive. They may have a filter they call aqua clear.

Back
Top Bottom