Aquarium sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know where I can find a good sand like play sand that's cheap. And is very white even when it's wet it stays white?

Thanks.

That I do not know, I've heard of other people using it successfully, it needs to be thoroughly cleaned.

I used Quikrete medium sand from Home Depot. It Was four bucks for fifty pounds of it. Only issue I have in my 20 gallon if the current if the filter barely hits the bottom it creates a rut. So i have to never sure it's always full

Sent from my phone cuz im too lazy to get on my laptop

I like pool filter sand from home depot

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The pool filter sand I have is white. The play sand around here at those places is the sandy beige colour. Pool filter sand is also slightly bigger grains than play sand and doesn't get in your filters as easy. Which ever sand you get rinse it a ridiculous amount. When you think you've rinsed it enough... rinse it 6 more times.

I have heard tractor supply co has black sandblasting sand for pretty cheap not to sure how it would do heard people really like it, but like most substrate it needs to be cleansed till the water runs clear

I have heard tractor supply co has black sandblasting sand for pretty cheap not to sure how it would do heard people really like it, but like most substrate it needs to be cleansed till the water runs clear

In one of my tank I have the black diamond sand blasting sand amd I love it! It doesn't float if you move it with ur hand it settles super fast and it was easy to clean. My other tank has Quikrete medium and its more of a beige and tends to float easier. The only reason I went with with the brown sand in the other tank is because my fiance Initially wanted that color in the show tank but I changed her mind so my qt tank I put it in there just because

Sent from my phone cuz im too lazy to get on my laptop

Sorry to jump in but im looking to do much of my scape w pool filter sand and then add a bag of dry rift lake substrate to it. My question is will the one bag maintain a high ph level or should I get 2 bags to be on the safe side? Thank you

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Depends in how big your tank is and how much your ph needs to be raised. Try one bag and if not high enough in a couple weeks add more.

Back
Top Bottom