Are my blue rams both male?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mdumanski01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got two blue rams yesterday not totally aware of their territorial issues. The one is more dominant and slightly larger than the other. He is also more colorful. The smaller ones color is fading already, probably stress related because the larger one won't leave it alone. They just pick on each other most of the time, sometimes lip locking. But basically just following him around everywhere he goes and picking on him. I just wanted to know (one) if they are both males and (two,) should I take one of them back? I don't want to kill one having it in there.

I had a pair, same exact behavior, the larger one killed the smaller one with in 2 weeks, I wish I had removed it.

TImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389627257.498363.jpg thats the smaller less dominant one before it's "dot" faded

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389627328.348111.jpg this is the smaller one after it's "dot" faded.. You can see the larger one under him.. He won't leave the smaller one alone

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389627587.164904.jpg. One last pic this is of the more colorful larger more aggressive one

Any input is greatly appreciated. I'd like to figure it out before the one dies. They have only been in there 3 days. There are 3 spotted Cory catfish, 5 black tetras, and 2 fantail goldfish in there also. The rams could care less about the other fish but randomly play with the gold fish. I am hoping that one of the rams is male and one female but I doubt it. It's a 30 gallon tank thats half planted half fake plants, but I've created what I feel like is two different sides with things blocking their line of sight. I've rambled enough

Any input is greatly appreciated. I'd like to figure it out before the one dies. They have only been in there 3 days. There are 3 spotted Cory catfish, 5 black tetras, and 2 fantail goldfish in there also. The rams could care less about the other fish but randomly play with the gold fish. I am hoping that one of the rams is male and one female but I doubt it. It's a 30 gallon tank thats half planted half fake plants, but I've created what I feel like is two different sides with things blocking their line of sight. I've rambled enough
I'm guessing they're both males based on the lip locking, breaking up line of site can help, I'd keep a close eye on them or else you may find only the strongest survive, they are cichlids after all..

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389628944.488428.jpgsorry just took a few more pics. This is the smaller, less dominant.

IME, I would take one back and get a female...females usually have a pink spot on their bellies.....if you don't it may become a blood bath...I woke up one morning to one when I didn't remove one female. I was waiting for mine to pair up and they did then killed the odd one.....gl

Well the physical abuse is over.. No more lip locking.. The bigger one follows the smaller one around and annoys it but doesn't do anything. It won't let the other one chill in peace

Back
Top Bottom