are my GBRs a mating pair?(sexing help)-now with better pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a pair of GBRs today and about three hours after having them in my tank, the two have found each other and have started swimming in circles together, one has a little bit of a pinkish tinge and it more plump, i beleive this one to be female, and the other is slimmer, and is more blue, and has a very dark black line throgught the eye. Is this mating activity?

Here are pics, maybe you can help me sex them, i am almost positive i have male and female

Female?
img_750568_0_8b2be29903349a5370baa58ff49b7317.jpg

Male?
img_750568_1_d736e4d6920afec16ef31bb1411b5f69.jpg

Females I had always have a gravid spot of purple or red on their bellies... Dead giveaway... I am sorry to say I cant tell by your photos. can you get a better shot? The one in the top seems male, but I am not sure. Males will sometimes have a longer third ray of the dorsal fin.

Jason, nice fish! Give them some time to adjust to their new environment, and IMO they will color up and you will have a better idea of their sex. Are these guys in your new 50 gallon? Just curious.

thanks mama, they seem to be doing really great, and have gotten some colour back already. So guess what, i took some more pics! Yes, they are in the 50gal, i think they are lovin it! So many hiding spaces. I have a log in the planted aquascaping forum, check it out if you would like to.

I think i have it figured out

Female:
img_750796_0_c427c65dc22b5549de6e4b420acae4d7.jpg

Male:
img_750796_1_58b257fac3f36539c7e7cadab4d302fb.jpg

I meant the bottom pic of your most recent additions. That would make it pic #4 of this post. The pelvic fins don't look like a male's to me. Maybe a pic with a little more detail would be better for sexing.

those have the color of a bolivian ram. my german rams are super colorful. blue gold red, black. with the female having a dark red belly

SHIFT_Unique said:
those have the color of a bolivian ram. my german rams are super colorful. blue gold red, black. with the female having a dark red belly

They ARE GBR's...most likely they are the result of imbreeding through many generations. Bolivians are larger and the male Bolivians will have red on the upper and lower portions of thier tail fin.

these are my "rescues" i say them in a african cichlid tank, with demasonis, red zebras, yellow labs, peacocks... and some other agressive africans. They were beat up pretty bad, thought they deserved better, so i bought them :D

I had two Gold Rams I knew for sure were males cause they never "got cozy" together... I added a little German Blue female and it took all of about three minutes for her to get hit on by the dominant guy in my 55 and pair up with him, and inside of five days I had a batch of eggs stuck to a rock. I would say by now you would know if you have a pair, but not necessarily. Those are definitely not Bolivians though, you have GBR's... If you have two females, that's good: I always find males are easy to come by, but it ain't easy to find females at my local shops.

My females will swim together and they show aggressiveness towards each other to assert their dominance. You may have two females.

ok, this is the best i can do... the first picture of the male is on the brighter side of my tank, i have an extra bulb over there which belaches out the colour.

MALE
img_754072_0_690bc88732a3d946604bc028a2fde137.jpg

not meant to show the fish, but the colour
img_754072_1_c13a3c8c41d3d811f1b0e70795338fba.jpg

FEMALE
img_754072_2_5b9279468cb037df3034bb64cdb51097.jpg

The first one looks like a male to me. I have a lot of pics like your middle one... then I learned how to adjust the shutter speed LOL. I would say that the bottom is a female. I think you have a pair.

I knew it all along! it was more convinceing you guys so you could convince me that i have a pair. LOL

As for the middle pic, shutter is at its highest speed, and i have my OIS (optical image spabilzer) on. But, that just shows the colours as a visual aid so you can see that there is no pink.

Back
Top Bottom