Are my rams paired?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pckerfreak44

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently bought 2 GBRs. One make one female. And as soon as they got in the tank they stuck together and still are inseparable. They finally picked a flat rock that I think is their new territory. And the female chases the male because he's smaller. But that doesn't happen much. Does it sound like a pair? What would they act like if they weren't a pair?

i allways found tell tale signs of head shakes and mouthing the rock, they are going to lay eggs on, if one or the other isnt ready yet, the other might get a little aggressive, and in most cases the malle is the slimmer and smaller one

fish will sometimes stick together being same species, but could be both males, or females are just not compatable, ive bred numerous types of fish, and one thing that allmost all of them did before breeding is head shaking and mouthing(cleaning a rock or other area)in angels its an easy give away , the males will extend along thin tube, and the female has a shorter wider tube, other fish are similiar, but just seems like angels are easier to see, and if you have othe fish in tank they will defend the area they are in

uhmm, they kinda peck at the rock that they are staying on, like theyre eating food off it. is that cleaning it? and what is head shaking?

Also one more question. Would adding a school of neons be good or bad for them breeding? I heard that you should add a school of small fish of them for them to feel more secure I think. Is that right?

biss444 said:
i allways found tell tale signs of head shakes and mouthing the rock, they are going to lay eggs on, if one or the other isnt ready yet, the other might get a little aggressive, and in most cases the malle is the slimmer and smaller one

I have 2 Bolivian rams, male/female. Any yes, the male is smaller than the female. They haven't really 'paired up' yet. They just seem to tolerate each other. Is it normal for the female to kind of run the tank so to speak?

It seems like my female is like that too :/ I think mine have paired up but I really don't know how to tell for sure and it's driving me crazy

head shakes is exactly that the male vibrates his head at the female trying to coax her, sometimes another fish helps to stop parents fighting each other , they pay attention to the other fish, go in protective mode, the only time i needed to do that though was with my jewels. when i put a pair together they would breed, but the male killed the female after, did not have to do that with my rams, rainbows, angels, apistos, keyholes

Dont want to hijack, but i have a male and a female, but they both "shimmy" at each other, and the females belly bas a pink tint to it. She often nips his fins.

yeah kind of,i think its cool. between the head shaking,very quickly, and if they are both pecking, at a rock , sometimes aggressively, they are probably ready for breeding.if you get to see it happen, you will see the female drag her stomach along the rock, then the male will come in and do the same releasing sperm,

head shakes last for just a couple seconds , butcan repeat it self several times, as far as other fish in tank, one thing .depends on size of tank, i always used another of the same species, neons, and other fast fish will probably get eaten, or might be able to pick off some of your babies,they call it having a dither fish in tank , and must give it hiding places or it will not live very long, but it is not a must to have another fish, try it first without one, just keep an eye on the parents, to make sure they are not overly aggressive to one another,

Okay thanks a lot for your help. When the male does his head shake does he make his colors really dark and vibrant? I think I saw him do it but im not sure. Also one more question :) I saw them kinda rubbing up against each other. Is that good?

Shoot one more question :) I have a dwarf gourami. He kind of picks on the rams sometimes. He just went onto their territory and the male and him got at it. Since the gourami is so much bigger will I have any problems? Thanks alot

Back
Top Bottom