Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Are my rams paired?

I recently bought 2 GBRs. One make one female. And as soon as they got in the tank they stuck together and still are inseparable. They finally picked a flat rock that I think is their new territory. And the female chases the male because he's smaller. But that doesn't happen much. Does it sound like a pair? What would they act like if they weren't a pair?

Old 07-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

i allways found tell tale signs of head shakes and mouthing the rock, they are going to lay eggs on, if one or the other isnt ready yet, the other might get a little aggressive, and in most cases the malle is the slimmer and smaller one

Old 07-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

could you explain what those mean please?
Old 07-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

fish will sometimes stick together being same species, but could be both males, or females are just not compatable, ive bred numerous types of fish, and one thing that allmost all of them did before breeding is head shaking and mouthing(cleaning a rock or other area)in angels its an easy give away , the males will extend along thin tube, and the female has a shorter wider tube, other fish are similiar, but just seems like angels are easier to see, and if you have othe fish in tank they will defend the area they are in
Old 07-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

uhmm, they kinda peck at the rock that they are staying on, like theyre eating food off it. is that cleaning it? and what is head shaking?
Old 07-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also one more question. Would adding a school of neons be good or bad for them breeding? I heard that you should add a school of small fish of them for them to feel more secure I think. Is that right?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by biss444
i allways found tell tale signs of head shakes and mouthing the rock, they are going to lay eggs on, if one or the other isnt ready yet, the other might get a little aggressive, and in most cases the malle is the slimmer and smaller one
I have 2 Bolivian rams, male/female. Any yes, the male is smaller than the female. They haven't really 'paired up' yet. They just seem to tolerate each other. Is it normal for the female to kind of run the tank so to speak?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It seems like my female is like that too :/ I think mine have paired up but I really don't know how to tell for sure and it's driving me crazy
Old 07-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

head shakes is exactly that the male vibrates his head at the female trying to coax her, sometimes another fish helps to stop parents fighting each other , they pay attention to the other fish, go in protective mode, the only time i needed to do that though was with my jewels. when i put a pair together they would breed, but the male killed the female after, did not have to do that with my rams, rainbows, angels, apistos, keyholes
Old 07-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It will almost look like he is seizing up.

Tags
rams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com