Are rams mean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayanearth

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 70G bow-front with rainbow fish(6), neon tetras(10), and an angel fish. It is planted, but not heavily and there is a large 18'' coral decoration. At my LFS there is a sale on Bolivian rams and I would love to get a pair. And is it important to get a male and female?

Thank you and I look foreword to reading your advice.

If you want to breed i would get 3 female to 1 male. Bolivians are peaceful, but can cone somewhat territorial when it comes to spawning.

So do you think it would be okay If I got 2 females and 1 male for my tank?

If I get 2 females and 1 male and put them in my tank do you think they would mate and if so how would I protect the fry?

They might. Rams pair up and only lay eggs with each other. So you should buy 1 male and a couple females. Then when the male pairs up with a female, remove the other females. You don't need to protect the fry, the rams will do it for you.

So they will do okay with the water (PH, hardness, ect...) in my tank?

Bolivians are not harem spawners to my knowledge. Although it wouldn't hurt anything to keep 1 male and a few females, it certainly isn't necessary. Your LFS probably can't sex them anyway, most people can't. Heck, I've been keeping them on and off for nearly 10 years and I still wouldn't trust myself to sex them reliably.

Your tank is large enough that same sex specimens probably won't bother each other. If you do end up with a breeding pair, the others will at least have plenty of room to stay away from them.

Thank you, is there any modifications like new decorations I should add to help them spawn or hide?

They like lots of cover- plants, caves, rocks. It doesn't matter if you use real rocks to make caves, or clay pots, or if you buy more decorations from the pet store, as long as it gives them a place to hide and hang out. They're going to stay mostly toward the bottom of your tank, so break up lines of sight down there with your decorations.

Will Bolivian Rams have issues with Denison Barbs or Corys?

Denisons, cories, and rainbows should all be fine.
I agree that your best bet is to get like 4 rams, hope for a pair, and then you can either keep them all, or sell off the spares depending on how well they all get along. As was said, they are not harem breeders, and IME the females are far feistier than the males. In a smaller tank, I would say you are safer with 1 female and multiple males. However, that should not be a concern at all in a tank as big as yours. They territory a pair sets up is pretty small.

Back
Top Bottom