Are red wigglers ok for my cockatoos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NiaCas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I cut up some red wigglers for my african dwarf frogs, but they didn't eat as much as they usually do, so I had some extra. I didn't want to waste it, so I brought the extra over to my angelfish because they'll eat a piece or two. My new cockatoo cichlids came right out and snatched the smallest pieces. They hadn't been eating much, particularly the smallest who I think most people have decided is female lol. She would peck a bit at the foods I tried (flakes, bloodworms, blackworms, brine shrimp) With the red worms though she snapped up a small piece, carried it around the tank for a while (super cute), ducked into her cave because the tetras tried stealing her treasure, and munched happily before coming back to look for more. It seemed to make her very happy.

The worms started out as store bought and I culture them now mostly for my frogs, so definitely no pesticides or anything. I've heard of people feeding their fish the foods I listed above, but not red wigglers, so I thought I'd ask. I would think the red worms would be fine for fish, but as part of their regular diet or only as an occasional treat?

Are red wigglers the same as grindal worms? In any case, they won't do any harm, but I wouldn't use them exclusively. Have you tried NLS pellets for your picky eaters?

Are red wigglers the same as grindal worms? In any case, they won't do any harm, but I wouldn't use them exclusively. Have you tried NLS pellets for your picky eaters?

Red wigglers are a smaller earthworm like leaf worms, they are commonly sold in bait shops as red trout worms and they are also used in composting.

There's no reason they would be unsafe for the apistos as long as they are from a clean source so they haven't been in contact with pesticides. If anything the fish's color will brighten up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom