Are there different types of managuense cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are there different types of managuense cichlid? I saw a Managuenes in a separate tank at 2.5 to 3" in length he was sliver and black with bluish black fins and white spots on the tail, while the rest in the other tank were golden brown at 2". It was beautiful it was one of those fish that I have to have. But instead of making an impulse buy I figure I would do some research. The girl at the fish store said well these are jag managuens (the gold color ones) and this is a different type I don't know what type. She is usually pretty knowledgeable but I think she is wrong this time. I should have taken pics but if I go back for pics I will most likely come back with the fish.

Not Nicaraguan. Its definitely a managuense. After doing more research last night I think she meant it was a different collection point. I wound up going back and picking it up. It lost the bue in its fins so I think those may have been from stress or it lost the blue because it is now in a new environment. I will get some pics when it comes out of hiding. very impressive looking fist. I was on another sight and some people said its common some look more gold and others look more silver. I think hey are probably right.

I am really looking forward to this guy growing he is already displaying wonderful colors.

Not Nicaraguan. Its definitely a managuense. After doing more research last night I think she meant it was a different collection point. I wound up going back and picking it up. It lost the bue in its fins so I think those may have been from stress or it lost the blue because it is now in a new environment. I will get some pics when it comes out of hiding. very impressive looking fist. I was on another sight and some people said its common some look more gold and others look more silver. I think hey are probably right.

I am really looking forward to this guy growing he is already displaying wonderful colors.

Not sure what u usually feed your cichlids but I definitely would recommend supplementing your jags diet with some higher protein foods. I stopped use of the hikari carnivore pellets that I was using for a while and was just feeding NLS exclusively with nothing else since its probably the highest quality pellet out right now and noticed he didn't seem quite as active as usual and not as colorful. I resumed feeding the carnivore pellets and some omega 1 super color cichlid pellets and he went back to his old self... I also throw him some frozen mysis or krill once a week along with the roughly 60/40 mix of NLS/higher protein pellets. Parachromis species definitely need that extra protein in their diet compared to most other new world cichlids, IMO. Post pics when u can, I'm sure you'll enjoy him.

Pics have been difficult he is still settling in and hiding allot. Looks good though. It is definitely a regular jag just really good colors. I hope to get some pics this week when he gets used to the tank

Back
Top Bottom