Are these new Cichlids compatable???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
75 gallon tank.. I posted a thread before stating i had tiger barbs, today i found a home for my tiger barbs and im going all african Cichlids(plus my small rainbow shark).. anyways, I had a Krib.... Today I purchased the following Yellow Lab,Bumble bee, Brichardi, Electric blue Johanni, Orange peacock and a Demasoni(since i removed 12 large tiger barbs i figured i can add some fish without cycle troubles).
Are these guys ok together? according to my research i dont believe they will get overly large. since I have a mix of cichlids do I need to make a pair with any of the above or are each one ok on there own? I am not sure if any of these cichlids need another of there kind or not but its funny because the electric blue and the demasoni are constantly together...
Last question, im assuming that i can fit a few more Cichlids in a 75 gallon tank, am I best adding while these are all young, or can you add young cichlids as these guys grow? thanks again for all the help..

If I may add to this... i can take any or all of these cichlids back to petsmart tomorrow if they are not compatable. I guess i should have done homework first..Honestly, out of this list I like the Demasoni, yellow lab and bumble bee the best.. Should I take the rest back and just build around these three? if so, how many of each do i need? I always figured with a cichlid tank you can get a mix of any lake malawi fish as you can fit, i didnt realize i needed multiple of each one...now im just sooooo confused and not sure what to do..

Honestly take them all back and do some more research.Pseudotropheus crabro get 8" + and are very aggressive. Pseudotropheus demasoni while small (2.5") are very aggressive and need to be kept in groups of 12-16 at minimum. They do however get along well with the Labidochromis caeruleus , but the demasoni still need to be in large groups to spread out aggression.

In a 75g shoot for 18-25 2.5"-5" Mbuna.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks

it really sucks... I guess im not ready for any Cichlids... Learned a hard lesson here.. I should have researched...not only did i give all my 12 tiger barbs away(to a petstore that i had to drive 45 minutes to) but I now will have to bring back all my Cichlids... I didnt even know i needed a rocky landscape.. I have big logs and fake plants in there... This was a rotten lesson to learn..I guess i can take them all back and buy 15 more Tiger barbs... i will bite the bullet on the 12 i just gave away...I will post on the non-cichlid board..maybe im better off not doing tiger barbs and getting some other less agressive schooling fish...any ideas?Pissed..thanks

Just find one species that you like, that is appropriate for your tank and build your stock around that.

What is your tap water like ?
If you want Africans read up.

Mbunas were suggested. Look them up and see if you like them. But yrs, they'd need a different scape.

Tiger Barbs are fast and semi aggressive. If you return to those, research good tank mates.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

why do you have to give away all of your cichlids? just keep the mbuna and get more of each group. Take back the krib, brichardi and orange peacock back to store. Ideal group would be 1-2 males for every 3-4 females.

You have a 75 gallon tank so you have plenty of space..up your group of demasoni to 12-15. Rocks are a must with all mbuna. They are aggressive so they need plenty of hiding spaces.

absolutely ready up on mbuna if that's what you like. They need slightly different water parameters than other tropical fish. PH 7.8 - 8.2 Temp 76%-78% . Use some crushed coral to mix with your sand substrate it will help buffer or keep your PH steady. You can also use rock such as texas holey rock, it rill raise and buffer your water.

Mbuna like to dig, make sure your rocks touch the bottom of the tank, don't just lay the rocks on top of the sand!

before doing anything get a good freshwater test kit. We need to know what your PH is from the tap

Back
Top Bottom