Are they about to breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarluva

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 2 oscars a tiger Oscar and an albino red that I got yesterday. They're both 9" and the Red is shaking its tail when the tiger gets near. Also the tiger is waving its tail at the red. Thy are also fighting not lip locking. Is this signs that they are about to spawn

my Oscars were both about 2in when i got them, couldnt tell if male or female. however when they hit about 4in i kinda guessed one was male cos it was more streamlined, had a pointier face, a larger anal fin and was more aggressive and faster. the other was nicer, slower, rounder, had a bulge down by the vent and actually sorta adopted a feeder RZ by feeding it a few pellets.
do the oscars exhibit different behaviours and aggression levels? is one more streamlined or pointier with a larger anal fin? oscars are extremely hard to sex but it can be minutely defined in some cases.
sounds like 2 males fighting. mine have paired and for the last 2 weeks have been building a spawning site (cleaning all sand away down to bare glass) in the day then destroying it at night, as a rehearsal. they dont fight at all.
if i were u id try to separate them if it gets too nasty xx xx

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
my Oscars were both about 2in when i got them, couldnt tell if male or female. however when they hit about 4in i kinda guessed one was male cos it was more streamlined, had a pointier face, a larger anal fin and was more aggressive and faster. the other was nicer, slower, rounder, had a bulge down by the vent and actually sorta adopted a feeder RZ by feeding it a few pellets.
do the oscars exhibit different behaviours and aggression levels? is one more streamlined or pointier with a larger anal fin? oscars are extremely hard to sex but it can be minutely defined in some cases.
sounds like 2 males fighting. mine have paired and for the last 2 weeks have been building a spawning site (cleaning all sand away down to bare glass) in the day then destroying it at night, as a rehearsal. they dont fight at all.
if i were u id try to separate them if it gets too nasty xx xx

Ok thanks

what do you personally think is going on? do u think one (the new or the old) is a girl? which?

oscars like to test eachother's strength before spawning, to make sure the genes are good. they do this by lip locking, ramming, tearing scales/fins, even going for the eyes. this isnt always the case, some pairs are just very quiet. but their nature says survival of the fittest and if the mate isnt fit enough, it dies.
do they sleep next to eachother or gently nudge eachother at all? xx

I think the old is a female cuz I tried to do the venting. But I'm not sure anymore cuz they dont do anything like that

I just noticed that they are lip locking. Is it still agressivity or is spawning

Back
Top Bottom