Are Upside down cats good for cichlid tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hulkamaniac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got an upside down cat in my 75 gallon tetra themed community. I'm wanting to move him into a 55 gallon tank that I've got that currently houses a Jack Dempsey and a school of Buenos Aires tetras. I'd like to get him out of the 75 as I suspect him in the mysterious disappearances of a couple of pygmy cories. (He claims he was home in bed at the time.) Will he fit in there w/the large Dempsey? He's definitely too big for the dempsey to eat. The Jack is about 6 inches long and the cat is about 4 inches.

A 4" Synodontis should be fine in a 55 with a JD and tetras. Just make sure there is someplace for it to hide/claim for territory.

any type of scavenger such as plecos, upside down cats will do fien with alot of other fish and they are incredibly tolerate of water conditions, so PH isn't really a concern if thats what your worried about

tropicfishman said:
any type of scavenger such as plecos, upside down cats will do fien with alot of other fish and they are incredibly tolerate of water conditions, so PH isn't really a concern if thats what your worried about

PH doesn't worry me at all. I'm more worried that the Dempsey might pick on him.

I'd be more worried about the cat picking on the Dempsey. Supposedly they are community fish but I've seen them be semi-aggressive about 7 out of 10 times in my Brother-in-Law's tanks. He had them for a while and they kept picking on his livebearers, until he finally got rid of them.

Alshain said:
I'd be more worried about the cat picking on the Dempsey. Supposedly they are community fish but I've seen them be semi-aggressive about 7 out of 10 times in my Brother-in-Law's tanks. He had them for a while and they kept picking on his livebearers, until he finally got rid of them.

Interesting. I've never had that problem with mine. It's the pretty standard model Syndontis Nigraventis (sp?).

Back
Top Bottom