At what size should fry be removed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crawdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Noticed last night 1, and then 2 more yellow lab fry in my main tank tonight. Then I witnessed one becoming dinner for my feather fin tonight. Two questions, one, when should I try and remove them, and two, how can I tell when the mom is holding, so I can put her in a breeder pen to try and save the babies. My labs literally breed like mice. When I did my substrate change a couple of weeks ago, I found three then, and moved them to my community tank. They are doing great, growing like weeds. The ones in the main tank are tiny, So they must be a new batch.

You can remove the female and wait for her to spit them out or you can strip her. If you notice her gills poped out, not eating and/or protecting a spot in the tank she is ether holding or about to let them out. They normally only hold for 16-21 days so if you notice it wait a little while then do as you wish as I stated above.

Last edited:
The best way to tell if a female mbuna is holding is look at what you will interpret as the chin.It will be swollen and distended.It will look like she is chewing gum permanently.

And don't pull the holding female right away, many of them hold for 3 weeks or longer. If you pull her right away she could lose her social status in the tank and be viewed as a new comer when returned to the tank.

My yellow lab just spit her fry, I counted a little over 20. I think they typically hold until the eggs hatch and the fry are free swimming. However, even after spitting they will take the back in their mouth for up to a week.

Back
Top Bottom