Auratus Cichlid turned blue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccantlin

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456103967.163686.jpg my cichlid tank recently crashed leaving only a single auratus behind. I decided to try my hand at South American cichlids going forward. I bought a jack Dempsey and a flower horn and put them into my tank and now two weeks later the auratus is turning blackish blue. Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

unless the fish is holding it's breath( ;) :brows: ) it's just changing into it's male colors. They all start out looking like females but the males change to that dark pattern. Nothing to be concerned about except that you really shouldn't be mixing the African cichlid ( auratus) with the S. Americans. Their water and diet requirements are different so they should be kept is separate tanks.

It also looks like you have a comet in there, a bad mix for cichlids, in addition to the mixing of continents

Also, flowerhorns are a Central American hybrid, jack dempseys are Central American

I recommend A LOT more research.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom