Aurutus he/she

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jace810

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I thought that I would start a new thread for this discussion. I have an Auratus that has completely male coloring but has held eggs for times already. They never amount to anything because he/she always swallows them. Here is the kicker, it is the only auratus in the tank! I will try and post a better picture when I get home today.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401301300.594997.jpg
Also, I just realized that I spelled Auratus wrong in the title of the thread... Oh well, you get the idea...

Is it the most dominant fish in the tank? the female can take on male colors if they are dominant and no other auratus male.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a male kenyi that is the boss, but the auratus is definitely second in command

That could be the reason second in the hierarchy can make it some what dominant . Its your only auratus right and you seen for sure it was holding?

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Definitely! :) I saw the eggs and all through it's lips. And could see the throat was huge. She usually holds for about three or four days then swallows all. I'm assuming that could be because they are not fertilized. But how is she laying eggs and holding them without a male?

In my tank I have a male and female kenyi that reproduce often, a yellow tail acei, small yellow lab, and many juvenile kenyi as a result of the mature breeding pair.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401341792.326888.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401341814.065210.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401341834.524030.jpg

A couple of pictures of the Auratus. Sorry they aren't the best quality and used the flash one one of them haha

Back
Top Bottom