Baby brine shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howmanyds

Aquarium Advice Freak
In searching for how to care for very small fry, I keep seeing that they often must be fed baby brine shrimp. Can anybody point me to an article on BBS for dummies? I don't know anything about them yet - are they purchased at LFSs, or do they need to be hatched in a species tank setup in the home?

Ah, i should've clarified, this would be fed to normal sized fish as opposed to fry. But thanks for the response! :D

it will be good for adults, but make sure to only feed it a couple times a week and give them more variety. nls makes great pellets for cichlids. i feed my fish once a day and something different every day. it varies from frozen to freeze dried to pellet.

I have rosbara's, a fighter, corys and a plec. The idea of freeze dried is to introduce some variety, i assume other freeze dried foods are ok too?

I have rosbara's, a fighter, corys and a plec. The idea of freeze dried is to introduce some variety, i assume other freeze dried foods are ok too?

for you, those cubes are going to have too large of shrimp for your fish to eat. i would get some freeze dried bloodworms and freeze dried brine, but get small ones. i use omega one for my freeze dried foods

How and why are frozen peas sometimes fed to fry or adults?

How about NLS fry starter pellets. I hadn't seen these before just now. Would these work for small cichlids like caudopunks or occies?
New Life Spectrum Small Fry Starter Formula - 50 g
http://amzn.com/B0038JTNFS

How and why are frozen peas sometimes fed to fry or adults?

you de-shell them first and it will help prevent intestinal blockage, which causes bloat and swim bladder disorder. the nls fry pellets will work, but probably not until they are 2-3 weeks old. its the same as hikari first bites, they need something smaller for the first couple weeks depending on how large their mouth is

for you, those cubes are going to have too large of shrimp for your fish to eat. i would get some freeze dried bloodworms and freeze dried brine, but get small ones. i use omega one for my freeze dried foods

This is what i can get locally.

Freeze Dried Antarctic Krill Meal - Tropical Fish, Marines, Corals, Anemones | eBay

Freeze Dried Rotifers - Tropical and Marine Fish Food | eBay

Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp (Artemia) Cubes - Tropical, Coldwater & Marine Fish | eBay

Freeze Dried Bloodworm - Fish / Turtle Food | eBay

Freeze Dried Copepods - Coral and Marine Fish Food | eBay

In general are these freeze dried foods good as occasional treats for adult cichlids or should they be used often?

In general are these freeze dried foods good as occasional treats for adult cichlids or should they be used often?

they are good to use once or twice a week. what your diet should consist of, is what your fish needs. some carnivores can live on just foods like that with lots of protein, but most fish also need plants and other things in their diet. do some google searching of good ingredients for fish food. then you will know whats good by ingredients and not brand name.

Back
Top Bottom