baby red point honduran cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anniekm5454

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I have a pair of red Honduran that have had many batches of babies, but my feather head cat fish eat the babies before they can grow much! :( well with this new batch when the babies came out and were swimming I netted them and put them in a "baby basket" that hangs in my TANK. NOW....how the check do I feed them?....what do I feed them? Please help!

My lfs doesn't sell any live foods but feeder fish. Could I melt and smash up frozen brine shrimp?

That would probably still be too big. Stores don't sell baby brine shrimp. Most stores sell the eggs and you hatch them yourself. I use a small soda bottle with the water and salt with an air stone and sit it under a lamp for a couple days. It's good to make 2 or 3 batches a couple days apart so when one is no good after a couple days the next one will be ready to go. You can also crush up flakes into dust and put this in. They are big enough to eat this.

Ok. I will try crushed flakes until tomorrow, then I will go see if I can get some of the eggs to hatch and an air stone I have a pump so good there and tubing.
Thank you so much. I really hope I can grow these guys up, my male is getting old.
Thank you

I feel you, in a pinch I take a small net put a little frozen brine shrimp and flake in and rub the flake and shrimp through the net into a cup of water rinse net in that water, makes a cloudy mix at least good until you can get some baby brine. New parents always find a way to get it done! Good luck with your fry!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I feel you, in a pinch I take a small net put a little frozen brine shrimp and flake in and rub the flake and shrimp through the net into a cup of water rinse net in that water, makes a cloudy mix at least good until you can get some baby brine. New parents always find a way to get it done! Good luck with your fry!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey that's a really good idea thanks. Would that work do you think with bloodworms too?

Great ideas to try, and yes, the parents always get it done, your right! I have some over zealous eaters in the tank with them, hence my problem lol. I have had about 10 batches of babies with none surviving, so I hope this works. Thank you to all and Courtanee thanks for the link too, I'm going to check it out right away!

Hard boiled egg yolk? Just be sure not to put too much in at once!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom