Baby Tiger Oscar Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wiggins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I bought 2 Tiger Oscars (2"-3") and 2 Convict Chiclids (2"-3"). I put them in my 55G tank (will upgrade when they get a bit bigger).

Three of the four fish have been super active/eating well and getting alone perfectly well. The one that hasn't been doing much is one of the Tiger Oscars (the one in the picture). He's been hiding behind all the decorations and plants and even when he's not hiding he just sits at the bottom of the tank. I have no clue what's going on.. Maybe he's just stressed about the new home. I know it can't be the water, I've tested it and the other fish are fine.

Tank Details:
55 Gallon tank
Fluval C4 Power Filter

If anyone could help or give suggestions on what to do that'd be great!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401596964.347448.jpg

Your setting yourself up for a fail here.. one Oscar is recommended in a 55, most opt for a 75.. these fish grow extremely fast and make a hugeeee mess, people run C4's on 29's, your 55 is massively overstocked and dangerously under filter.. I'd recommend taking both oscars back, or keeping one Oscar and getting another canister filter to run with the fluval..not trying to ruin your morning just calling it like I see it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Although the c4 is quoted for a 70g, I too feel it's way underrated for what you've got there. I agree to take the oscars back because before you know it they will be huge and something will happen that will not allow you the time or funds to get the bigger tank when it needs to happen. And if you do decide to keep one, definitely get a canister.

I appreciate both of your replies! I do understand that I should have a better filtration system and a bigger tank for these guys, I have decided that I'd like to keep the fish and purchase a 200G tank but I'm not quite sure what filter to use for it. A canister for sure, any suggestions?

The 200 would be a great home indeed! Filter for the 55 or 200?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes indeed a 200 would be sweet !!! And if you're asking about filtration for the 200, you've already got part of it. Turn that 55 into a sump !!!

Setting up a sump can be pretty simple. There's tons and tons of links and posts on how to do it.

As for the behavior. Oscars are known to sulk when put in, or have changes to their environment. I wouldn't worry about it to much. If it persists, look for signs of illness.

Back
Top Bottom