Bad news, I had to euthanize our biggest Mbuna today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WendiDell

Aquarium Advice Addict
For the first time in 7 years, I had to euthanize a fish.

He was the one of the first Mbunas we got. He was a beautiful Cobalt Zebra. When we would watch him at night with a flashlight he would glow an iridescent green. I wish it was something I could captured on camera.
Anyway, I have an OCD thing where I go in and do a head count on my Mbunas a couple times a day. They like to hid a lot so I like to make sure they are all, OK.
I couldn't find Marty this afternoon, so I put in just a little food. They all show up for that, but still no Marty. So then I lifted all the rocks & decorations to see if he'd swim out, or worse float out, still nothing.
So the I started to remove it all instead.
The tank is in my Grandsons room and he had wanted a sunken Pirate ship. The hole was plenty big enough for all of our fish to swim through, so I never thought it would be a problem. Turns out it's a big problem.
Somehow Marty had swam half way in, made a 45degree turn that a fish half his size shouldn't have been able to do, and got himself stuck. I don't know how long he was stuck, but he was really jammed in there. I tried everything to get him to swim out on his own, but he couldn't swim backwards.
Long story short, I had to pull him out by his tail. When was finally out he looked awful. All his fins were in shreds and I could see blood under the surface of his tail where I had grabbed him. He was barely breathing.
he didn't have any fins to swim with so he just flopped over on his side and floated around.
I know fish do this kind of thing, I've read about it here on AA. Is there any way to pull a fish out of whatever insane place they have gotten stuck in, without doing damage?
It was obvious that he wouldn't live very long so I stopped his pain and started mine and my grandsons.
I'm sorry for droning on but I've never had to do this before and I'm really sad. I've lost fish before but not by doing it myself.
Casey is very sad and cried the entire time I was taking care of Marty, it just broke my heart. Especially when he kissed the tank glass and said good bye to Marty.
I was going to add a picture but for some reason this posted before I was done. So I'm adding a second post to take care of it

Here is Marty, he was actually friendly towards other male Mbunas in his tank.
RIP Marty, you are already missed. By both your human and fish friends.

Sorry to hear that Wendi, I've heard so many stories of that store bought stuff causing issues like this. I would ditch the ship, if it could happen once it could happen again.

the ship is gone. I tossed it as soon as I got Marty unstuck. It will never see the inside of a tank again.
Thank you for your kind words

Sorry about the loss of your fish. I'm glad to see you've removed the ornament. I would have done the same thing.

I will say, when removing a fish like that, it's probably best (if possible) to pull it out head first. The scales, fins, and gills all work with you that way, rather than against you when pulling them backwards.

Sorry to hear about Marty. I had to use a dremel to cut open a friends ornament. He eventually pulled through but I'm pretty sure he was stressed out for a week after having the dremel going right beside him.

So Sorry to hear about Marty Wendi, you and Casey must be heart broken, such a handsome fish to, a sad loss.

Pete

Sorry about the loss of your fish. I'm glad to see you've removed the ornament. I would have done the same thing.

I will say, when removing a fish like that, it's probably best (if possible) to pull it out head first. The scales, fins, and gills all work with you that way, rather than against you when pulling them backwards.

I would have if I could have reached it. But his head was completely surrounded but the ship. Marty was bent at a 45 degree angle, I have no idea how he managed it. It was a freak thing, but it was a cheap decoration from a PS I won't mention.
I looked at another ship at the FS we usually go to and it was better made so that there is no way a fish could could get stuck in it. All the small places were filled in on the good ship. But not on the the cheap one from the PS, I don't usually go to.
I came home and checked out the Spanish galleon (bought it online) that I have in our Angel tank and it's really well made. Even if a fish does swim in one of the many holes, my entire hand can fit in the bottom. I would just need to turn the ship upside down and a fish could swim out. It also has no sharp edges on the inside to harm the fish, like the cheap one did.
It's a lesson learned about where not to buy decorations.

Sounds like you did the best you could... doesn't make it any easier losing a fish though.
No, it doesn't help and I hope it never happens again.
It nearly broke me when my 10 year old grandson, Casey bent down and kissed the tank where Marty was, and then he burst into tears and ran out of the room.
BLAH!!! it was awful.
Thank you though, the support helps.

I am so sorry for your loss! I have had several fish get stuck over the years and I have sat there with a screwdriver and pliers breaking apart ornaments to get the fish out.

I am so sorry for your loss! I have had several fish get stuck over the years and I have sat there with a screwdriver and pliers breaking apart ornaments to get the fish out.

I wish I could have done that, unfortunately the sides of this ship are thick and the bottom is wide. There was no way to tare it apart or I would have. He was in there at such a weird angle and Marty was a BIG Cobalt Zebra. I was a no win situation.

Aww I'm so sorry to hear this! :( Its amazing that stores put products like that on the market :( Im sorry for your loss
Not all decorations are created equal. It looked sturdy on the outside, but until Marty got stuck in it, there were things I never noticed before.
I will be much more observant in the future. I don't ever want to pull on a fish's tail like that again.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom