Beaten up fish could use some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Typhoo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Earlier today I was at my LFS when I see this guy hanging behind the filter. There was a larger cichlid that kept running into him anytime he tried to leave the area. I tell them to move the guy to a different tank and ofc they just shrug it off.

So being the person I am I buy the fellow and I grabbed that small box for him as well, I don't have a hospital tank so its the best I could do. I cannot let him loose into my mbuna tank he's too weak. I drilled large holes in his enclosure and put him right in front of the filter exhaust so it will move fresh water through his box.

So what I'm wondering is there any chance the little fellow can come back from being this beat up? He seems to be eating pretty well, I have fed him two times and he has done well. Every couple hours I drain his water and refill it with new tank water. I guess I feel like if I can bring him back from death we will have a long time bond or something I dunno :lol:

One strange thing is when my other zebras come up to take a look at him he flares his fins and tries to attack them through his box. One minute he looks like he's done for and the next he's a burst of energy. Any advice would be great, thanks!

Attachments

• 20130322_170406.jpg
    20130322_170406.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 147
I think he will be fine..if you have good water he will make a full recovery. Beautiful looking guy too! I know how you feel.. I saw a really bad deformed blood parrot (more than usual) who's mouth was all bent to the side, which looks like he would have a hard time eating and almost got him but I already have one.

How long do you think I should quarantine him before releasing him into general population (I know he thinks he is in prison).

As long as you think he needs.. He might heal faster too if he has more space and things. Being contained can stress him out and slow the process..might be better off letting him go and seeing how he does..and if he is too weak still..then put him back in..it doesn't hurt to try.

Keep water quality perfect and he will heal up rather quickly. You can add a little aquarium salt to help with the healing. I would have done the same thing if i had seen a fish being tore up at the lfs. Sometimes i think all some of them care about is money and dont truely care for their livestock very well. I commend you for this!

just an update, I put him in general population and he seems to be swimming normal and doing well. Continues to eat odd he is the only fish now that doesn't spook when I walk up to tank he comes near the glass when I walk up. :)

I dosed half strength aquarium salt this morning.

Maybe he's just happy you saved him and doesn't isn't scared of you:). I only have a couple fish who seem to like me btw congrats on saving this little guy he looks really cool even if beaten up.

Back
Top Bottom