beautifully lit for under $200?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! excellent. You didn't have the problem with it not being exactly wide enough like I did with my 30" one? Cause if the 48 doesnt do that I'm seriously gonna have to get the quad oydssea. lol

Nice looking tank btw. :-D

carey said:
Wow! excellent. You didn't have the problem with it not being exactly wide enough like I did with my 30" one? Cause if the 48 doesnt do that I'm seriously gonna have to get the quad oydssea. lol

Nice looking tank btw. :-D

Tyty :) no problem at all. In fact, the width of both the edges of the fixture and the tank are the same width. Perfect fit.

TankBoss said:
Tyty :) no problem at all. In fact, the width of both the edges of the fixture and the tank are the same width. Perfect fit.

One thing about the lights... VERY bright. A lot cooler than I prefer and totally wash out the colors of my rocks and fish. The blue fish are less colorful as well. Not a big deal to switch out either one or both bulbs though so I'm not at all unhappy with the purchase.

Hmmmm. I didn't notice any wash out in my tank, but then again I gots no fish. lol I'm still gonna probably get it for my 55 tho. Just need a glass canopy first. I refuse to pay $95 on ebay for it too. hehe.

Glad its worked out for you. You saved a boatload of cash.

carey said:
Hmmmm. I didn't notice any wash out in my tank, but then again I gots no fish. lol I'm still gonna probably get it for my 55 tho. Just need a glass canopy first. I refuse to pay $95 on ebay for it too. hehe.

Glad its worked out for you. You saved a boatload of cash.

Thanks. Don't get me wrong... I'm super stoked on it. I'll probably buy a full spectrum light today and that will be that.

Yeah post some pics. I'd love to see how it works with a different bulb. I'm soo soo close to just ordering it now. But I got other priorities in SW that I need to spend on first. **** money lol

you shouldn't have any problems with light... 10,000k is on the blue(er) end of the spectrum for freshwater, and acintic, well, that's definitely blue.

mfdrookie516 said:
you shouldn't have any problems with light... 10,000k is on the blue(er) end of the spectrum for freshwater, and acintic, well, that's definitely blue.

Yeah rookie... way too cool of a combo for me. My colors were all popping nicely under full spectrum Do you know how a warmer bulb will work out with the acintic?

mfdrookie516 said:
Lower K number will get warmer. 6500k is down more in the red spectrum.

Right. I definitely want warmer. All the colors in my tank are seriously washed out... even my electric blues. My cobalt looks albino. I really sweating it, just trial and error. So I figure ill just warm it up a bit. Not sure if that will drown out the actinic?

TankBoss said:
Right. I definitely want warmer. All the colors in my tank are seriously washed out... even my electric blues. My cobalt looks albino. I really sweating it, just trial and error. So I figure ill just warm it up a bit. Not sure if that will drown out the actinic?

*not really sweating it

Nah, you won't drown out the actinic even with 3 6500k bulbs. I have a 10,000k and actinic on my 150g mbuna tank, but I like the color is has. It really all boils down you what you prefer though. Just try it out and see what you like.

mfdrookie516 said:
Nah, you won't drown out the actinic even with 3 6500k bulbs. I have a 10,000k and actinic on my 150g mbuna tank, but I like the color is has. It really all boils down you what you prefer though. Just try it out and see what you like.

Is that 2 54 watt bulbs on your 150 gal?

Turns out I had a bit of white fuzz coating my tank walls. I cleaned the insides and the light looked great. Is that how algae looks in the beginning? I read that 8 to 10 hours of light is best for controlling algae. Would you agree with that for a 55 gal tank running 2 54 watt t5s?

TankBoss said:
One thing about the lights... VERY bright. A lot cooler than I prefer and totally wash out the colors of my rocks and fish. The blue fish are less colorful as well. Not a big deal to switch out either one or both bulbs though so I'm not at all unhappy with the purchase.

I'm not sure that it was just my cleaning the white fuzz off of the inside tank walls but I'm very satisfied with the color in my tank now. It's weird... almost as if the lights settled in some way. Probably just the cleaning idk. I won't be replacing bulbs for months though so yay

I changed the 10000k out and put in a 6500k bulb (zoo med ultra sun super daylight) now its exactly what I wanted... beautiful true colors.

Back
Top Bottom