beautifully lit for under $200?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have two, single, tube light strips on my 55 gallon tank and I just feel the lighting could be much better. I really appreciate the look of recessed lighting and also the security of a covered top.
The plastic canopies I have had the HOB filter openings punched out by the previous owner and now that I'm using a canister filter my fish are vulnerable to my cat (got my catfish last night... RIP)
DIY not an option. I don't have the energy or time, ATM, for another big project so I'm looking to drop $200... done. AWESOM! lol
Any suggestions?

glass tops? probably about $40. A 2x54w T5HO from fishneedit.com for right at about $100 shipped.... get 1 actinic, 1 daylight, unless you're planning on planting it. The actinic will really bring out the colors in the fish. It will also keep you from having terrible algae problems with so much light.

mfdrookie516 said:
glass tops? probably about $40. A 2x54w T5HO from fishneedit.com for right at about $100 shipped.... get 1 actinic, 1 daylight, unless you're planning on planting it. The actinic will really bring out the colors in the fish. It will also keep you from having terrible algae problems with so much light.

Thanks rookie. I was thinking along those lines but I couldn't figure out how the glass top works. Is it that it only covers the front of the tank and the light fixture covers the back?

mfdrookie516 said:

Color temp for the white bulb?

Your choice... I'd stick with something between 6500k and 10,000k just in case you decide to plant later on. Then you'll only need to buy 1 bulb.

Definitely look around some more though, that's just a suggestion. I wouldn't spend any money just based off one persons suggestion.

mfdrookie516 said:
Your choice... I'd stick with something between 6500k and 10,000k just in case you decide to plant later on. Then you'll only need to buy 1 bulb.

Definitely look around some more though, that's just a suggestion. I wouldn't spend any money just based off one persons suggestion.

Na but its looking like that's the ticket. Two bulb fixture. I couldn't sport that without a canopy though. The fixtures are too industrial. Thanks though you were really helpful.

My tank has a plastic support running from front to back in the center of my tank. Will 2 T5 bulbs hovering close over this plastic cause the plastic to melt or release gases?

Ok. Ordered.
I feel like a huge douche over spending $100 on a canopy made out of $8 worth of pine and staples but it looks nice, was made to match my Craigslist stand and tank, and took me 10 minutes to get from lfs to my house. its also keeping my cat out of the tank while I'm out of town so ...GOOD BUY I SAY! lol.
Found 48 in, double 54w T5 HO that comes with the two bulbs for 65 shipped.

I just got a quad 30" t5 made by Odyssea for $78 on ebay, it looks like the same item pretty much and my lights are great. BUT they run short on length. Mine are 29.5 inches and the tank is 30 so it sits a tad funny on the rim.
I was looking at the same fixture for my 55 so let us know how it fits.

:)

carey said:
I just got a quad 30" t5 made by Odyssea for $78 on ebay, it looks like the same item pretty much and my lights are great. BUT they run short on length. Mine are 29.5 inches and the tank is 30 so it sits a tad funny on the rim.
I was looking at the same fixture for my 55 so let us know how it fits.

:)

I will definitely report back. Shipped on the 23rd and UPS says it will arrive today! Can't wait! Yours didn't come with the extending brackets?

It came with the metal brackets but keep in mind the fixtures' width is shorter than the tanks. The brackets would work if I had say a 36" width. I sit mine on the frame right now and will try to rig something so that it cant fall in the water. With my stupid luck.... lol

carey said:
It came with the metal brackets but keep in mind the fixtures' width is shorter than the tanks. The brackets would work if I had say a 36" width. I sit mine on the frame right now and will try to rig something so that it cant fall in the water. With my stupid luck.... lol

Yeah, dropping it in the water would not be good lol.
I'm sure I'm going to have to rig something because the brackets will get in the way of my canopy. The one I bought, I think, extends far beyond the 48 inches of my tank so we'll see

Yeah after it comes let me know, I am chomping at the bit to get one for my 55 cichlid tank. I hate the stock ones.

TankBoss said:
I should have a pic to post in about 10 hrs

Cell phone pics

Left and right of the fixture fitting under my canopy. The brackets only got in the way but the fixture set perfectly on the edges of the tank which allowed for a small bit of space between the splash guard and my tanks glass tops.
A con reviewed on the web site was flimsy protective plastic guard... its actually 1/16 plexiglass, pleanty sturdy, easily and cheaply replaced.
The light bulb combo is VERY cool. Personally I think all colors get washed a bit, even the blues.
Over all I am stoked. The fixture is streamline and perfect fit for my tank. Plenty of light now! It was priced right at 65 shipped and, for me (California resident), it only took 3 days to arrive from ordering.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110225_151447.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110225_151447.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 106
  • ForumRunner_20110225_151514.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110225_151514.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 107
  • ForumRunner_20110225_151537.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110225_151537.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 109
I had to set my phone camera ISO setting at its lowest and turn the brightness setting all the way down to get a shot that wasn't washed.

Back
Top Bottom