beginner African cichlid questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heemskn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought 9 random African cichlids from the "assorted" variety at walmart, petco and petsmart (in 3 batches). Except for one individual they seem to be doing well in my 55 gallon tank which they share with a mississippi map turtle, 2 cherry barbs, a danio, a black neon tetra, and two Siamese algae eaters. The community fish have lived for over a year with a murderous turtle so they can fend for themselves pretty well, and don't seem to be bothered by the cichlids. But I will move them to another tank next week, to make it a bit less crowded.

I am new to Cichlids so apologies if these are obvious questions:

1. One of the larger Africans has been hanging by herself in or near a cave at a corner of the tank and has never eaten yet. She seems lethargic except when other fish come near her corner, in which case she chases them out. Could she be "holding"? Pictures attached.

2. Is the yellow and black striped fish in the other picture the female version of the electric blue johanni? The blue johanni seems to be the boss in the tank. If yellow/black is the female, should I add another one?

3. The one African that is not doing well looks like a blue kenyi to me, and has a whitish area behind his head. His fins are either always retracted or partially gone, and he swims funny. Unfortunately he is also every shy, unlike the others who come right out to nip at my hands or the net. Should I take him out of the tank and if so, any tips on how to catch him? I have tons of river rocks on the bottom with lots of hiding places. It is going to take me an hour and stress everybody out if I have to take all the rocks out...

Thanks,

Nick

Attachments

• holding.jpg
    holding.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 95
  • holding side view.jpg
    holding side view.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 105
  • related.jpg
    related.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 96
1- i dont think thats a she... looks like a male auratus thats starting to change colors
2- looks like a female or juvenile male auratus
3- google columnaris... i went through that a few months ago...

I agree with all 3 of MFD's responses...columnaris is nasty and you'll want to start treating it ASAP

Thanks for the advice.

I can't find the sick cichlid anymore, and I suspect/hope that the turtle took care of him.

I will increase the amount of salt in the tank. Should I also treat the whole tank with an anti-biotic as a precaution?

If so, what would you recommend for small (about 1 inch) African Cichlids?

I would dose melafix and pimafix daily with a 50% pwc in addition to salt... i did this for 2 weeks every day and rid my tank of columnaris (if thats what it is) in which 5-6 of the 13 fish i have were infected... also lower the temp if possible... low 70's.. the columnaris bacteria multiply alot faster in warmer temps

I turned off the heater, upped the salt and did a water change, but it did not add medicine yet. I think I may have dodged the bullet with the columnaris. The sick looking Kenyi, and both auratus have disappeared without a trace. Into my turtle I presume.

But all the other fish seem happy and healthy. They are not the least bit bothered by the turtle and playfully stay just out of her reach. And she has given up trying to catch them. So I guess she could spot the sick ones and took care of them.

light colored kenyi

Just to be sure, please let me know if you think this Kenyi looks OK. She is active and eating but is much lighter colored then the other two. The flash of the camera brought out some more blue, but in real life she is a bit milky or pale, not bright blue with dark, almost black, bands. Could there be something wrong with her or is this a normal color variation

Thanks.

Attachments

• normal and pale.jpg
    normal and pale.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 107
  • side by side.jpg
    side by side.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 91
this is normal whne she get agressive or protective she will become darker. and as she gets older

You realize you will probably lose your other fish as your cichlids get older. They are going to harass your danios, tetras, and algae eaters to death when the cichlids each reach about 3 inches, that's when they start staking out territories. Also, remove the turtle when you treat for diseases. Copper based medications and several other chemical treatments are deadly for reptillians and amphibians. Other than the sick one the kenyi look fine.

Back
Top Bottom