Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

beginner African cichlid questions

I bought 9 random African cichlids from the "assorted" variety at walmart, petco and petsmart (in 3 batches). Except for one individual they seem to be doing well in my 55 gallon tank which they share with a mississippi map turtle, 2 cherry barbs, a danio, a black neon tetra, and two Siamese algae eaters. The community fish have lived for over a year with a murderous turtle so they can fend for themselves pretty well, and don't seem to be bothered by the cichlids. But I will move them to another tank next week, to make it a bit less crowded.

I am new to Cichlids so apologies if these are obvious questions:

1. One of the larger Africans has been hanging by herself in or near a cave at a corner of the tank and has never eaten yet. She seems lethargic except when other fish come near her corner, in which case she chases them out. Could she be "holding"? Pictures attached.

2. Is the yellow and black striped fish in the other picture the female version of the electric blue johanni? The blue johanni seems to be the boss in the tank. If yellow/black is the female, should I add another one?

3. The one African that is not doing well looks like a blue kenyi to me, and has a whitish area behind his head. His fins are either always retracted or partially gone, and he swims funny. Unfortunately he is also every shy, unlike the others who come right out to nip at my hands or the net. Should I take him out of the tank and if so, any tips on how to catch him? I have tons of river rocks on the bottom with lots of hiding places. It is going to take me an hour and stress everybody out if I have to take all the rocks out...

Thanks,

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	holding.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	23465   Click image for larger version

Name:	holding side view.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	23466  

Name:	related.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	23467  

Old 04-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

1- i dont think thats a she... looks like a male auratus thats starting to change colors
2- looks like a female or juvenile male auratus
3- google columnaris... i went through that a few months ago...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with all 3 of MFD's responses...columnaris is nasty and you'll want to start treating it ASAP
Old 04-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice.

I can't find the sick cichlid anymore, and I suspect/hope that the turtle took care of him.

I will increase the amount of salt in the tank. Should I also treat the whole tank with an anti-biotic as a precaution?

If so, what would you recommend for small (about 1 inch) African Cichlids?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I would dose melafix and pimafix daily with a 50% pwc in addition to salt... i did this for 2 weeks every day and rid my tank of columnaris (if thats what it is) in which 5-6 of the 13 fish i have were infected... also lower the temp if possible... low 70's.. the columnaris bacteria multiply alot faster in warmer temps

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #6

I turned off the heater, upped the salt and did a water change, but it did not add medicine yet. I think I may have dodged the bullet with the columnaris. The sick looking Kenyi, and both auratus have disappeared without a trace. Into my turtle I presume.

But all the other fish seem happy and healthy. They are not the least bit bothered by the turtle and playfully stay just out of her reach. And she has given up trying to catch them. So I guess she could spot the sick ones and took care of them.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #7

light colored kenyi

Just to be sure, please let me know if you think this Kenyi looks OK. She is active and eating but is much lighter colored then the other two. The flash of the camera brought out some more blue, but in real life she is a bit milky or pale, not bright blue with dark, almost black, bands. Could there be something wrong with her or is this a normal color variation

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	normal and pale.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	23543   Click image for larger version

Name:	side by side.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	23544  

Old 05-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

this is normal whne she get agressive or protective she will become darker. and as she gets older
Old 05-12-2010, 12:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You realize you will probably lose your other fish as your cichlids get older. They are going to harass your danios, tetras, and algae eaters to death when the cichlids each reach about 3 inches, that's when they start staking out territories. Also, remove the turtle when you treat for diseases. Copper based medications and several other chemical treatments are deadly for reptillians and amphibians. Other than the sick one the kenyi look fine.

Tags
african, african cichlid, beginner, cichlid, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com