Beginner to cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orifii

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I have dived in and ordered myself a 4ftx16x20 aquarium and a eheim 2217 cannister.

I was thinking about keeping mbuna, yellow labs, acei and rusty cichlids. Are these suitable for a beginner? I have been told by several LFS to stay away from the psuedotropheus as they are too aggressive. Is this true?

What other cichlids would look great in this size aquarium? Open to CA/SA also.

Thanks

Check your local availability, see which ones you like best, then check out cichlid-forum.com for more info. Juat about any combination of fish has been discussed there, so some time searching the forum and reading will save you quite a bit of trouble.
As for the mbuna, yellow Lab's and acei aren't that bad, relatively speaking. Maingano would work well with the Lab's if you could find some, but I wouldn't mix acei with them. You want to avoid mixing species that have the same colors, particularly males, to minimize aggression.

When setting up a mbuna tank the species selection is almost limitless in choices. Start with 3 fish from different genus to reduce the chances of aggression and hybridization between species. Your final stocking number should be around 15 fish after the proper male to female ratio of 1m/4f is followed. Start by purchasing more juvies since sexing young fish is difficult and rehome fish as needed when the extra males are idenified or a hyper aggresive fish is wreaking havoc. Stay away from similar colored fish when choosing like blue barred which will quickly introduce you to how aggressive these fish can be. Here are a couple of links to get started with fish choices. One of my favorite combinations is blue and yellow such as Demasoni and Yellow Labs.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_55g.php
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_55g.php

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=2

Last edited:
Friends have got an Oscar and they seem awesome. What could I get as a potential pair? Something not too big, up to 8-10". Still undecided about African vs CA/SA :(

Oscars are great fish. The only downside is with your tank size you can't really add much more. If you are ok with the Oscar and maybe 1 or 2 smaller fish, then go for it. You initial post sounded like you wanted a larger number of smaller fish.

I was initially thinking of several smaller fish. Lots of colour and movement, but then got put off by aggression suggested by several LFS regarding Africans. Not sure about stocking now.

You get aggression with any cichlid... even angels and discus. If stocked appropriately, africans are great fish to keep. If not stocked appropriately, its a blood bath. The same can be said for sa/ca cichlids as well though. You put the wrong fish together, somebody is going to be killed.

I have finally decided on stocking
12 Saulosi 3M:9F
5 Rusty 1M:4F
5 Maingano 1M:4F
2-3 Bristlenose

How does this stocking sound? Will aggression be minimised with this stocking level also?

Will i add them all at once, or add some first and others later?

Will post pics during and after cycling. :)

With that many fish you'll definitely need to increase the filtration. The eheim 2217 is an excellent canister filter, but won't be enough by itself. For stocking a tank that size so heavily I'd use 2 aquaclear 110's, or add 1 with the eheim.

Back
Top Bottom