beginner to cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont think they are as sensitive as you think. Through my experience with them they have done well even through screw ups on my part. Ill be the first to admit I made rookie mistakes. I never cycled my tank. My dwarf and other tank mates survived fine. I dunno we will see how it goes. If he starts to look sickly or too stressed ill take him out.

I dont think they are as sensitive as you think. Through my experience with them they have done well even through screw ups on my part. Ill be the first to admit I made rookie mistakes. I never cycled my tank. My dwarf and other tank mates survived fine. I dunno we will see how it goes. If he starts to look sickly or too stressed ill take him out.

You do realize that in terms of establishment of the biofilter, using fish and using ammonia accomplish the exact same end result, right? I can't imagine why anybody would be so impatient that they couldn't wait 3 or 4 weeks for a tank to cycle. :ermm: Not bashing you. Just don't understand.

Look, fishless cycling is not the only correct way to do things. I've started well over 100 tanks via media transfer and it works great as long as you start slow. I've got about 45 currently running so I must be doing something right. ;)

Last edited:
I respect your point. And ill admit I am impatient. Im excited about my new tank that 3 to 4 weeks seems like months away. Yes I know some people dont like doing the fishless cycle and hate people who do in-fish cycle. Just because I do in-fish cycle doesnt mean I want to kill the fish of course I want it to survive. Im just trying a cycling method.

The OP is not starting a new cycle. The filter has established media in it...therefore the tank is already seeded and has some bacteria to start converting...

It's fine to have differences of opinion, but the rules to which we all agreed when we signed up state that they must be expressed politely.

I've deleted argumentative replies. Any more bickering will result in this thread being closed.

Just wanted to give an update. My dwarf gourami has the same or even more energy now then in my other tank! So I think hell be fine. My levels are.
Ammonia-0.25
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
How high does ammonia usually spike? I dodnt know id be that short to get some ammonia

Depends on how much old filter media you used. Plan to do some extra water changes until your tank cycles through. ;)

It's probably going to go up. I'd change some water and test again tomorrow. The good news about media transfer cycles is that they are usually very short. I just cycled a few 55's this way in 4 days. Just keep an eye on things. It's different for everyone.

Be sure to test for nitrite too. Sometimes you skip the ammonia or nitrite phase with a media transfer, sometimes you don't. Just keep testing. It's not as hard as it sounds, I promise.

Setting up a tank if you can use tank water and matured filter media couldn't be easier. All you need to do is put about half a tank of tank water in with half a tank of dechlorinated, put some mature gravel and plants in there and put the matured media in the filter. Then you could put about half the fish you want straight away, the other half a week later (after checking parameter to be sure everything is going to plan). Dont do any water changes during this period and for another week. Then do about a 15% water change and from then on do about 10% twice a week forever, vacumming gravel and cleaning filters once a month. Glad you are thinking convicts, they are the most interesting you could put in a tank that size. Personally i think you best choices for that tank would be either 2 pair of kribs if you want breeding, or 1 female convict, 1 rainbow cichlid and maybe 1 male Krib or an Angelfish or possibly a Keyhole. I find bolivian rams a bit uninteresting and other rams hard to keep. You could possibly put a pair of bristlenose plecs and 5 congo tetras in for company.

Back
Top Bottom