Best bottom dweller for mixed African cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I have a red jewel, yellow lab, blue peacock, and boryeli cichlid...all are about 3 inches (they're probably each at about 70% of what their full growth might become). I have had them quite a while.

What would be the best algae eater, and should it be one or two?

Common pleco? Bristlenose pleco? Oto-cat? Syndontis? (not sure what that is) Something else?

Thanks.

If you have a fair size tank, I would go with the common pleco. Otos would get harrased too much.

Synodontis species are best with cichlids, as a lot of species come from the same area as the cichlids. You do need a fairly large tank--most species get quite large. Just do a google on synodontis to find different species and find one that will fit your particular needs.

I agree with shawmutt--"Synodontis species are best with cichlids." I have an ugly one in the 80 gal and never see him, but I know he's doing well.

Synodontis species are by far the best for an African Cichlid tank. Many of them are actually from Lake Malawi, so putting them in will give you a very natural mix of fish.

I have both a syno and a pleco in my 70g african tank. The syno are fun to watch, and grow like crazy, but won't touch algae. The pleco keeps my glass clean. The AC's don't pay attention to either.

-J

Clown loaches prefer soft, acidic water, in general, and are not algae eaters, so if you are a purist they would not go with Africans. I am sure there are people who keep them together, tho.

Back
Top Bottom