Best cichlid food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeZ

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have always used Hikari, but curious to know what the lastest and greatest cichlid food is for American cichlids would be. Obviously color enhancing is always preferred.

Thanks!

A lot of people on this site swear by (nls) "new life spectrum"

I myself have used hakari for probably 6-7 years. Always been a fan. I too keep NW/SA. So when their young it's blue bag 3mm sinking. And soon as they reach the size to eat them, red bag floating large pellets.

I also use harkari frozen, both blood worms and brine shrimp.

As for live, I used to breed cons to feed, but now a days it's just crickets, and a handful of QT'ed feeders from my lfs.

I use New Life Spectrum flakes and Thera A pellets, along with Hikari pellets. I also feed frozen bloodworm, brine shrimp along with different veg for a varied diet.

I'm a personal fan of Xtreme pellets. The fish absolutely devour every bit that I feed them.

isiah1820 said:
Anyone tried feeder fish

People will advise against it, due to their low nutritional value, as well as the high risk of diseases they often carry.

If you want to feed live it is always best to breed your own to feed to your fish. Or if you want feeders (from a pet shop) have a QT tank and feed them quality food and keep an eye on them for two weeks prior. To help ensure they are healthy and won't harm your fish (but even then you still.. Run a risk of infecting your fish due to stuff you couldn't see in the feeders)

I myself used to breed convicts. Had a breeding pair in a 30 and a 25g grow out/QT.

Aski247 said:
People will advise against it, due to their low nutritional value, as well as the high risk of diseases they often carry.

If you want to feed live it is always best to breed your own to feed to your fish. Or if you want feeders (from a pet shop) have a QT tank and feed them quality food and keep an eye on them for two weeks prior. To help ensure they are healthy and won't harm your fish (but even then you still.. Run a risk of infecting your fish due to stuff you couldn't see in the feeders)

I myself used to breed convicts. Had a breeding pair in a 30 and a 25g grow out/QT.

Sounds good. Another question what other vegetable matter should I try b/c mine are not taking lettuce too well and I wanna switch it up from the flaks I been giving them

Spirulina is a blue-green plant plankton rich in raw protein and seven major vitamins: A1, B1, B2, B6, B12, C and E. It naturally contains beta carotene, color-enhancing pigments, and a whole range of minerals. In addition, it contains all essential fatty acids and the eight amino acids required for complete nutrition.

Attachments

• image-1048566597.jpg
    image-1048566597.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 75
I have my 1st cichlid. A 5 month old female convict. The lfs recommended Hikari floating mini pellets because she is so little. Problem is that she will not swim up to get the pellets. I had some sinking carnivore pellets for my catfish that I have been breaking up and she absolutely loves them. Are they ok for her or is there something better I should give her. Keep in mind that she doesn't like floating things.
Thanks

I've switched to nls. I still feed hikari every so often cause I have so much of it left. Reason I switched was hikari always made the water cloudy afterwards but not nls.

My Africans are not eating the lettuce I put what other vegetables should I try?

My Africans are not eating the lettuce I put what other vegetables should I try?

I find they always go crazy for boiled garden peas, boil for a few minutes, ( important ) take the skin off, if they are still a bit hard squeeze them to soften then add to tank and watch feeding frenzy. Courgette and cucumber also seem to be favourites, especially the green skin for some reason.

When do I know when it's time to get the larger pellets? My jack is about 4in now!?! Think it's ok for the larger pellets instead of the small ones?

Critter1990 said:
When do I know when it's time to get the larger pellets? My jack is about 4in now!?! Think it's ok for the larger pellets instead of the small ones?

What size are you referring to when you say small ones?

Critter1990 said:

What brand are you feeding. hikari goes baby, mini, medium, large.

At 4" I would say if it's hikari Mini would be best, possibly medium.

If you are feeding nls, you could feed 2mm.

I feed NLS Too all of my fish. It doesnt make the water cloudy. Also NLS has really heloed my fishes color show.

Malawi Freak said:
What brand are you feeding. hikari goes baby, mini, medium, large.

At 4" I would say if it's hikari Mini would be best, possibly medium.

If you are feeding nls, you could feed 2mm.

+1.......took the words right out of my mouth.

Back
Top Bottom