Best cichlid setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidslover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am focusing on how to have the best setup for my cichlids which are juvenile red severums, Red Devils, and blood parrots in a 30 gallon. Yes, I know it's crowded but they will be moved to a 125 gallon in the bear future. But for now I wanted to know what's the best setup for these fish and what do they like. I currently have both the penguin biowheel 200 and 350 along with the aquaclear 20. I also have two Hydor Koralia 425 powerhead to improve filtration efficiency. I'm thinking about adding the cichlid stones bulk pack on amazon and some caribSea black super natural Tahitian sand. What are your opinions and suggestions. Also, what would be the best yet budget friendly light hood since I really want to promote green algae growth.

First off, I don't think those fish would like or use the Cichlid stones. Those are made for African cichlids, cave and rock dwellers. If I remember correctly, and I'm no expert, but those fish prefer lots of plants and drift woods. South American river/lake water.

Red Devils are diggers and do not like plants, severums eat plans.

On that note, a 30 is not big enough, and depending on the number of each that you have, since you used plural versions of each, a 125 may not be enough. Amphilophus labiatus get quite large and aggressive, and very easily will be able to kill the other fish.

Also, labiatus (devils) are Central American, not south ;)

It's one of each, but like what substrate and decor do they like?

Severums will eat plants. The best setup for them is sand with driftwood. Red Devils are very territorial and will redecorate your tank, gravel or a ad will work, many use gravel. Parrots I can't really tell you as I don't keep hybrids

I'm currently ordering black Tahitian sand and cichlid stones. Are those good? And why driftwood

Anybody? I need to place the order in, I'm waiting for feed back?.

Adding driftwood is a great way to mimic the cichlids natural environment.
It can add hiding places and lower the ph.
Plecos and snails like to lightly snack on it also.

Should I like bury half the driftwood in the sand on the bottom then pile cichlid stone on top or what?

Cichlid stones are meant for african cichlids, your CA/SA cichlids will outgrow them rather quickly. For a tank, you'll at least need a 125g to have any chance of this working long term. But get yourself 3 or 4 pieces of mopani and/or malaysian driftwood, some large rocks, and maybe some fake plants if you want, and you'll be good. With that said, your Red Devil will more than likely kill your Severum and BP unless those 2 are already much bigger than the Red Devil. Then you wont need such a big tank and a 75g should do for the 1 fish you'll have left.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So ordering the cichlid stones were a waste of money?

Depends on what size u got. If u ordered a large enough size, they may be able to use them for a little while. But eventually, and probably pretty quickly, they're going to outgrow them and u wont have a use for them

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For the species and hybrid that you listed? Yes, cichlid stones were probably a waste. From my experience, the main fish to use cichlid stones are catfish and kuhli loaches. I have only used them in a SA cichlid setup and a Tanganyika set up

Well it's too late since I can't return it, should I still put it in the tank? How easy could it be to change to an African cichlid tank?

Well it's too late since I can't return it, should I still put it in the tank? How easy could it be to change to an African cichlid tank?

You can keep it in the tank, there's nothing wrong with it just it probably will not be used. I've seen the biggest size they have in person and good god it's giant and your BP should be able to use it (considering you got the biggest size) for quite some time but the other fish wont due to their odd shapes and lengths. Driftwood would look great and be "used", for lack of a better term, more than Cichlid Stones.

If I took the fish that can't use it, out of the tank. What fish could I put in then? Could I do an all yellow lab tank? I'm thinking about buying another tank just for them?. Will yellow labs use the cichlid stones? Also, how do I tell the difference between Africans and other cichlids

You could still use the cichlid stones as tank deco. Making larger "caves" with driftwood pn top of them.

Back
Top Bottom