Best cichlids with firemouths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waffle toaster

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I was planning on getting some firemouth cichlids and some tiger barbs for my 55 gallon aquarium, but several experienced fish owners have said that if you're going to get a cichlid, you should make it a cichlid only aquarium. I've heard that blue acaras go really we with firemouths, but which cichlids do you Think go best with firemouths, and how many should I get of them so that they could fit in my 55 gallon aquarium?

In a 55g I wouldn't add any other cichlids besides the T. Meeki there's simply not enough space for all the fish to claim territories. I like the orginal plan of the three Meeki and school of barbs, there's no reason why the whole stock has to be cichlids.

I was thinking of adding an electric blue jack Dempsey to the mix, but it would be too huge for my aquarium and not do well with the tiger barbs, right?

Lots of very experienced fish owners and fish sellers have been telling me that you should DEFINITELY not mix FMs with TBs, and have heard that kribensis cichlids would do much better with TBs, as long as you don't plan on breeding them, so I'm not sure which to get at this point.

Waffle toaster said:
Lots of very experienced fish owners and fish sellers have been telling me that you should DEFINITELY not mix FMs with TBs, and have heard that kribensis cichlids would do much better with TBs, as long as you don't plan on breeding them, so I'm not sure which to get at this point.

I don't see any issue with firemouths and tiger barbs. The only schooling fish my firemouths have killed off were neon tetras. I've housed firemouths with plenty of small fish successfully in the past though.

I would recommend giving it a try if it's the setup you want. Tiger barbs aren't pushovers and firemouths are more bossy than dangerous.

I don't see any issue with firemouths and tiger barbs. The only schooling fish my firemouths have killed off were neon tetras. I've housed firemouths with plenty of small fish successfully in the past though.

I would recommend giving it a try if it's the setup you want. Tiger barbs aren't pushovers and firemouths are more bossy than dangerous.

Have you ever interbred a convict and a firemouth?

I don't know what "experienced keepers and sellers" you are talking to but they are all full of it, if they are worried about the Meeki killing the barbs then that just shows how misguided their information is.

5X5, HUKIT and I all keep different types Thorichtys, I would trust those twos opinions over most, they've both said it would work so I'd be inclined to agree. My Gold Mixteco don't even eat swordtail fry for crying out loud, so big bossy tiger barbs will be fine.

Reactions: 5x5
Well, I guess I'll try whichever combo I think would be better after I do some more research on kribensis cichlids.

If you're going to get a Pelvicachromis species get taeniatus, at least those fry are worth something.

Also you're going to want some kind of schooling fish to add more movement to the tank.

I currently have one firemouth with 8 Barbs, 2 each of diffrent colors. I've had them since they were 1/2". Never had any issues. Barbs school together and my firemouth has his hiding place. I do know that once I add another firemouth (female), they would claim the whole tank and more than likely kill the tb. I also have a 55 gal. I feel like a 55 gal is pushing it on a single fm.

ForumRunner_20130626_060351.jpg

Here is my fm at about 3 years.

Note: keep in mind I also have a clean up crew of 2 s.a.e,
And a lone molly, all three are ignored by fm. I did have a red fin black shark at one time and noticed many standoffs

I'm thinking that if I want to get multiple cichlids, I should get some of the smaller ones such as kribensis cichlids, and I heard that they're better In community aquariums. Also, if I were to get one of those kinds of cichlids, would I be able to put any type of rainbowfish with them, or would the barbs be the best option?

do know that once I add another firemouth (female), they would claim the whole tank and more than likely kill the tb. I also have a 55 gal. I feel like a 55 gal is pushing it on a single fm.

The only fish that would be in any danger on your tank would be the introduced female/s, especially if she won't/isn't ready to spawn with the male. Thorichthys are really only aggressive towards conspecific and tend to leave other fish alone. My males have killed two of the females because the weren't ready to spawn but they haven't even looked twice at the other fish or fry in the tank. Even when spawning my Mixteco only flare my swords or plecos.

I'm thinking that if I want to get multiple cichlids, I should get some of the smaller ones such as kribensis cichlids, and I heard that they're better In community aquariums. Also, if I were to get one of those kinds of cichlids, would I be able to put any type of rainbowfish with them, or would the barbs be the best option?

Kribs can be pretty aggressive when they spawn just keep that in mind. If you choose the larger rainbows they would be just fine with a Pelvachromis species or the Meeki like you had originally planned.

If you want all of one gender, i would recommend getting females so that they don't fight every second of every day. I have never had firemouths, but based on what i have going on with my cichlids, all females would be best.

Fm in the pic is about 5". He is the mellowest fish in my tank, very curious and intelligent. At times when cleaning or pruning plants he will swim/bumb my hand.

Back
Top Bottom