Best colour substrate???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crashf100

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I will be getting a 6x2x2 to replace my 4x2x3 soon & wouldnt mind getting some opinions on the best substrate to show off my mixed African lakes cichlids. Im planning on running a combo of white & blue lights.was thinking of a dark,even black substrate? what do you guys think??

Quickrete all purpose sand, very cheap at lowes/home depot about $4-5 bucks per 50lb bag. Does not take much rinsing and there's nothing left for the fish to kick up and make the water cloudy. One of my favorite things about this sand is there are multiple grain sizes and looks allot more natural.

if your thinking of going with black, try black diamond blasting sand @ $8 for 50 pounds at tractor supply company, I have it in two tanks with no issues and there have been plenty of other threads about it on here so you should be able to get a variety of opinions with a little digging

Im liking the idea of sand of some sort.never used it before but sounds cool.Being here in Australia i may have to find diff brands/sources etc but shouldnt be a biggy. Was in the states last year & very jelous of the range & quality of products & fish.We have been flooded by cheap Chinese garbage here but still forced to pay top doller :-(

Look at your local hardware store online and see what they have to offer. Plus look and see if any say aquarium safe or something like that. That's how I found the quickrete play sand that mogerako suggested above. You can normally find things cheaper there or at a farmer store.

As for color I like the natural look of the brownish white sand. The only downfall is it shows everything. So if I didn't care about natural id go with black. Hope this helps ;)

In Australia I think you can play sand from bunnings.

That's how I found the quickrete play sand that mogerako suggested above. You can normally find things cheaper there or at a farmer store.

Not the play sand, the All purpose sand!! Play sand is garbage and takes forever to rinse the APS rinses much cleaner allot faster, doesn't have super fine particles that will suspend in the water column.

Shop QUIKRETE 50 Lb. All-Purpose Sand at Lowes.com
img_2104892_0_6255e780be149ad99cc3d72336a6ce29.jpg

While black sand helps the fish pop more I think its rather tacky looking. It easy to find darker more natural looking substrate like the All purpose sand or Pool filter sand.

Back
Top Bottom