Best dechlorinator/wc method?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use 1 inch diameter 30 foot long clear tubing. Siphon from my tanks into the tub. Then disconnect the shower head fit the tube over the pipe and run the water back into my tanks. I can control the flow and temp easily. While it's running I add the appropriate amount of prime. Prime is the best conditioner out there

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pretty much same as TCC except I have a aqueon water changer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I simply siphon the waste water into the floor drain, and have a 55 gallon white rubbermaid trash can on a wheel base used only for fresh water. Fill it with warm water, add dechlor, siphon out however much from whichever tank/s need changed, then refill from the can. I use an aquaclear 110 powerhead to pump fresh water into the tank/s, even the 220 gets refilled pretty quickly.

Water Treatment and WC

Share your wc method/ favorite dechlorinator? Need some improvement in my own and need some ideas. Thank you

Hello Jess...

Still use the old bucket method after 10 years, but this way I ensure the water treatment is dissolved completely and don't expose my fish to untreated tap water. I know, old school. Anyway, I've use a lot of different water treatments and found Seachem's "Safe" to be the best.

B

I use a 1/3 hp motor 1380 gph to remove water from my tank then put the pump in my 44 gallon Rubbermaid trash can and pump it down the drain then I fill add prime and pump back to the tank.... I have a 180 gallon, 150 gallon,33 gallon and I can do all the water changes in 30 min that's 120 gallons in and out. I don't waste water the way u do with the Python and it's way fast

Thank you everyone!! I purchased prime as a new dechlorinator.. I also use the bucket method, i have a 55 and 125. The Discus tank needs decently frequent water changes so i need go invest in a better water changer

As I keep discus I use the ratio 5 parts ro water to 1 tap to put some of the needed minerals back into the water, I use 1cap of seachem prime to dechlorinate. I make the water the previous day to let it age and to make sure I have the same parameters going back into the tank from what iv taken out. If I need to lower the ph I use seachem discus buffer. All seems to work really well.

Thank you everyone!! I purchased prime as a new dechlorinator.. I also use the bucket method, i have a 55 and 125. The Discus tank needs decently frequent water changes so i need go invest in a better water changer

I have the Aqueon WC'er for my tanks only for filling. I use a 650 gph to drain.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

I use sodium thiosulfate crystals mixed with water. Hundreds of times cheaper than any bottle dechlorinator at the store.

For water changes, you really can't beat a python or whatever brand is cheapest.

I have most of my tanks piped on an overflow/auto water change system now, it changes about 20-30% of the water in each tank daily.

Not a problem any time=] there are so many different methods but what works for you and your fish is all that matters!

Yes the cichlids arent picky, so they arent the issue. The discus on the other hand have been a challenge to say the least. Do you have gravel/sand/or a bare bottom tank?

Yeah you can say that again!....but worth it. I have sand not to keen on bare bottom, you can see where all the waste is sitting on sand as it sits on top and can't make it's way through the gaps making it slightly easier and quicker to clean than gravel.

I have seachem flourite gravel, but i feel as though it is very messy. During a water change it comes up red. The gravel was cleaned for hours before putting it in the tank, but it makes using the siphon pretty miserable so im looking to change the flooring. My community tank is a sand tank, wonder how much sand it would take to fill a 55

I made a similar mistake in a previous tank with bogwood didn't soak it just put it straight in the tank iv never seen water so brown ha! Since then I double clean everything! Like with anything there are pros and cons whatever is personal preference it's your tank have it how you would like=]

Seachem Safe and a spliced together Python / Aqueon fill hose with a PVC elbow "hanger" on the end. It's 50 feet long and reaches all the tanks in the fish room. That way I don't have to clamp the hose into the tank like I do with a regular Python. Safe is much, much cheaper than Prime in the long run. The sodium thiosulfate is much cheaper than Safe though.

I drain the tank and dump the Safe in while it's filling up. The fish don't mind at all. Even my little discus don't mind, and I'm changing nearly 100% of their water every evening. I drain down to the trim and they're swimming sideways. Lol

Last edited:
I have a 30 gallon trash can full of tap water. A heater in the bottom brings it up to temp. Air stones bubble off the chlorine as the temp rises. When I refill, the chlorine stink is incredible. No chloramines, so no chemical treatment. One pump sends tank water into a basement utility sink via PVC pipes, another pump brings the heated dechlorinated water from the trash can holding tank into the aquarium. I do 20 to 30 percent water changes on a 55 gallon tank his way once a week or once a day as needed.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom