Best Deco for Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AfricanCichlidOwner

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 yellow labs, 2 cobalt blue zebras, 1 albino zebra, a German red or rubin red peacock, and a common Pleco. What would be the best option for rock for them to hide in the cheaper the better, if you could attach pictures that's help too! Thank you so much for any help or personal experience you have.

What I have in the picture is all I have in there now.

Attachments

• image-1304576116.jpg
    image-1304576116.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 123
I spent $20 on rocks, they are Colorado river boulders from a local landscaping place and $30 on live plants

Attachments

• image-360807625.jpg
    image-360807625.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 128
  • image-2605629451.jpg
    image-2605629451.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 127
  • image-2207176559.jpg
    image-2207176559.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 127
I got some slate rock from a landscaping company. I did some work for him, so i got them for free.

Attachments

• image-3473940850.jpg
    image-3473940850.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 132
I spent $20 on rocks, they are Colorado river boulders from a local landscaping place and $30 on live plants

Oh yea I love the ones I have now they have had literally no problems at all that I've seen. So I thought I had to get more eventually. I wish I knew where to get those around here. Those are absolutely beautiful. I like that it just looks natural. Awesome tank, and beautiful fish, they look happy lol.

I got some slate rock from a landscaping company. I did some work for him, so i got them for free.

Loving the layered slate that's what I was thinking or just the random rock would be awesome too. What size of tank is that? It looks like a 20 long like mine.

Not trying to take this off topic but your tan is only 20 gallons? Those fish need 55 minimum and te common pleco needs to go

Not trying to take this off topic but your tan is only 20 gallons? Those fish need 55 minimum and te common pleco needs to go

I figured I'd get some crap about that. I'm gonna be getting a bigger one soon, this has only been up a month maybe.

Why do you say no Pleco?

I figured I'd get some crap about that. I'm gonna be getting a bigger one soon, this has only been up a month maybe.

Why do you say no Pleco?

Sorry not trying to be mean! The common reaches minimum of 15 inches and Ma of 2 feet. Not to mentio an enormous bioload. IMO a tank under 175 gallons can't support 1

Sorry not trying to be mean! The common reaches minimum of 15 inches and Ma of 2 feet. Not to mentio an enormous bioload. IMO a tank under 175 gallons can't support 1

So what should I get as a bottom feeder in your opinion? I have a filter on it for 55 gallons. It's a marineland forgot the model, that makes no difference?

And what does IMO mean.. Haha

My tank is a 40 breeder.

Its not the most common tank haha :)

So what should I get as a bottom feeder in your opinion? I have a filter on it for 55 gallons. It's a marineland forgot the model, that makes no difference?

And what does IMO mean.. Haha

IMO----in my opinion
A bottom feeder could be a bristle nose pleco but in not sure if I would with cichlids. The 55gallon filter helps keep it clean but does not do anything about space requirements and all

What about a synodontis catfish? I've heard they do good but do they clean everything like a Pleco what's the pros and cons?.

I'm glad I read this I have a common pleco I got for 2.00 just to flip him back and forth from my 55 with a 6700k/colormax 48" t-5 to my basic 20g just as a cleanup crew for the algae in the 55 when it gets bad which now means I get to get a new fish but don't know what can handle an all male cichlid tank I had to remove the 2 clown loaches recently due to aggression

The best bottom feeding or something to keep substrate clean would be a nice water change, gravel vac and a great maintenance routine :)

Wit that said I do have a pleco, feather fin and a synodontis along with 4 botia loaches in my 75 gallon African cichlid tank.

Now to answer your original question since its gone a little off topic.

Decor is personal preference. Things they will need, hiding places and areas to call there's little areas of territory. Rocks are good as some are rock dwellers. Stack them and make more caves.

I've always said to try and leave the front of the tank open for free swim and stack everything to the back.

I went a little out of the norm you could say. I love the of driftwood in a tank. This is why I say it's what you like. You have to stare at it not us.

But those things I mentioned are things that will help your fish out. If one is stressed or being picked on or even holding they can find a cave or little area to call there own.

Here's my tank. 75 gallon heavily stocked mixed African cichlid tank.

image-2399716057.jpg

image-1430095438.jpg

image-1794890228.jpg

That is a great looking tank convict2161!
Decorating your tank is like decorating your house - there are so many diffrent looks and ways to go. Where are you located, can you go out and find rocks? There are guidelines posted elsewhere on what types of rocks to avoid and how to prepare them (i.e I think granite was bad)but many you can find are fine. I am always looking at the local lfs, they often have clearance items for cheap. Just a couple of pieces can make a big diffrence.

The best bottom feeding or something to keep substrate clean would be a nice water change, gravel vac and a great maintenance routine :)

Wit that said I do have a pleco, feather fin and a synodontis along with 4 botia loaches in my 75 gallon African cichlid tank.

Now to answer your original question since its gone a little off topic.

Decor is personal preference. Things they will need, hiding places and areas to call there's little areas of territory. Rocks are good as some are rock dwellers. Stack them and make more caves.

I've always said to try and leave the front of the tank open for free swim and stack everything to the back.

I went a little out of the norm you could say. I love the of driftwood in a tank. This is why I say it's what you like. You have to stare at it not us.

But those things I mentioned are things that will help your fish out. If one is stressed or being picked on or even holding they can find a cave or little area to call there own.

Here's my tank. 75 gallon heavily stocked mixed African cichlid tank.

I like the way that looks! That gives me some more ideas it has a little but of every type of hide out, I like the driftwood too.

That is a great looking tank convict2161!
Decorating your tank is like decorating your house - there are so many diffrent looks and ways to go. Where are you located, can you go out and find rocks? There are guidelines posted elsewhere on what types of rocks to avoid and how to prepare them (i.e I think granite was bad)but many you can find are fine. I am always looking at the local lfs, they often have clearance items for cheap. Just a couple of pieces can make a big diffrence.

It's winter now or else if be going to farms and asking to dig through there fields and stuff haha, I will when it's summer but the ground is rock hard and covered in snow. All the landscaping stores are closed also or else I'd be going there. So I've been looking online it cost so much just for some stuff I can get from outside and clean up. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom