Best diet for a oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh7

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a small tiger Oscar for my 75 gallon right now I'm using omega one cichlid pellets as a staple but what else should I feed him to keep him healthy?

josh7 said:
I just got a small tiger Oscar for my 75 gallon right now I'm using omega one cichlid pellets as a staple but what else should I feed him to keep him healthy?
I make my food
I would reccomend this recipe-
5 parts omega one Cichlid pellets
1 part omega one flakes or whatever flakes you have on hand
3 parts freeze dried brine shrimp and/or 4 parts freeze dried bloodworms
3 parts freeze dried tubifex worms
2 parts sinking pellets and/or 2 parts crushed algae wafers
Shake then feed as much as you normally feed once a day
Also for treats-
Frozen brine shrimp
Frozen bloodworms
Live tubifex
Live blackworms
Live guppies(only a few and no more food for the rest of the day)
Live ghost shrimp
Live adult brine shrimp

So like even ghost shrimp from petsmart are fine to feed a Oscar they don't carry disease? Like feeder goldfish if not that would be great where I live they cost like 10 cents.

josh7 said:
So like even ghost shrimp from petsmart are fine to feed a Oscar they don't carry disease? Like feeder goldfish if not that would be great where I live they cost like 10 cents.

Feeder goldfish and minnows have a deficiency that can hurt fish they are fed to
The ghost shrimp should be gut loaded in a smaller tank first or a breeder box

I would skip the omega pellets and stick with the new life spectrum pellets. They are very high quality pellets with various sizes (1mm, 2mm, 3mm and jumbo 4.5mm). There is also a sinking Thera-a formula that includes extra garlic, which has several additional benefits.

You can do the occassional frozen food as a snack, but I see no value I doing feeder fish for an oscar.

If the omega pellets are the type that expand when they hit the water, I would recommend you discontinue use.

I make my food
I would reccomend this recipe-
5 parts omega one Cichlid pellets
1 part omega one flakes or whatever flakes you have on hand
3 parts freeze dried brine shrimp and/or 4 parts freeze dried bloodworms
3 parts freeze dried tubifex worms
2 parts sinking pellets and/or 2 parts crushed algae wafers
Shake then feed as much as you normally feed once a day
Also for treats-
Frozen brine shrimp
Frozen bloodworms
Live tubifex
Live blackworms
Live guppies(only a few and no more food for the rest of the day)
Live ghost shrimp
Live adult brine shrimp

With all due respect, why would you do this?

It seems like more money, hassle and risk (assuming you aren't home breeding all the live food) with less nutrition.

when i kept oscars i always had hikari cichlid gold as the staple and bloodworms as a treat. oscars also benifet from vegies aswell. as far as live feeders go i wouldnt recomend anything that isnt ment to be a feeder and when i would give live food it would be worms from my worm farm

They aren't they are omega one sinking super color cichlid pellet the ingrideients sound good though like whole salmon and whole shrimp.

5x5 said:
With all due respect, why would you do this?

It seems like more money, hassle and risk (assuming you aren't home breeding all the live food) with less nutrition.
I do it simply because it works and my fish love it
Granted I dont have an Oscar, but it worked for angels, goldfish, livebearers, barbs, tetras, danios, rasboras, gourami, cories, a pleco, and all sorts of other fish
I edited it a little bit for the large fish

josh7 said:

That'll be fine for a staple be sure to feed live and frozen brine/bloodworms as a treat.

And if you feel like it. Goldie's give'm some excersize!

Sharkbait54 said:
That'll be fine for a staple be sure to feed live and frozen brine/bloodworms as a treat.

And if you feel like it. Goldie's give'm some excersize!

Goldies have a compound in them that keeps fish from absorbing certain necessary vitamins
I reccomend feeding livebearers instead or ghost shrimp

emerald76 said:
Goldies have a compound in them that keeps fish from absorbing certain necessary vitamins
I reccomend feeding livebearers instead or ghost shrimp

I didn't know that. Thank you!

No one has mentioned what is probably the best live food you could feed them. If you wanted to do live food on that day.

Crickets... Every fish I have ever owned has absolutely loved them. They are cheap and easy to keep for weeks. I buy like 100 of them a month.

Oh okay so feeder crickets from a pet store will be fine for him and are earthworms any good like if you squeeze out all the junk and leave the worm.

Aski247 said:
No one has mentioned what is probably the best live food you could feed them. If you wanted to do live food on that day.

Crickets... Every fish I have ever owned has absolutely loved them. They are cheap and easy to keep for weeks. I buy like 100 of them a month.

The crickets are all fun and games until one escapes and you have that incessant chirp that you can't locate!

That is a good suggestion for live food.

I do not agree with the other live food suggestions above such as goldfish and guppies. You absolutely do need to worry about diseases with them.

josh7 said:
Oh okay so feeder crickets from a pet store will be fine for him and are earthworms any good like if you squeeze out all the junk and leave the worm.

Just rinse the worms off if you want. I dip mine I the tank to clean them haha. I'm lazy. Some people cut them into pieces if feeding multiple fish. Or to make it easier for a single fish to chew down rather then trying to slurp up a worm the length of the fish (if a juvie).

And any cricket is great for fish as food source. It does not really matter the store. I buy them from pet smart all the time because it's closer then my regular lfs. They are messy, so I try to feed them the day of or day before a water change.

Side note... It is very true about the "one who gets loose" about once a month I have a "runner" I have to go find. They are the ones I pay extra attention to when caught and fead. Haha.

Oddly mine never cherp in the cricket cage just when they get free for a day or two.

Okay sounds good so how about 4 days omega one pellets 1 day worms, 1 day frozen brine shrimp and crickets.

after about 5 inch they will eat whole peas aswell. i gave mine peas or peices of green vegies twice a week.

Okay sounds good so how about 4 days omega one pellets 1 day worms, 1 day frozen brine shrimp and crickets.

The diet itself is fine (I still think you would benefit from switching over to NLS pellets when your Omega One pellet container is empty).

I would also recommend getting out of the habit of feeding everyday. Once every other day is more than enough and will keep your water in better shape. Personally, I would recommend 3 days a week Pellets and 1 day treat (alternating between frozen and crickets).

The amount of days during the week you feed pellets does not matter. IMO. As long as its their main source of food. I regularly go 6 days a week (I don't feed 1 day a week also) feeding just pellets. Only on days where I feed crickets or feeders (I have qt'ed for 2 weeks.) do they not get pellets. Days I feed frozen I still toss a few in because I feel like frozen is still no where near as healthy.

Realistically your talking about a fish that is normally always hungry and will readily eat whatever you decide to feed it. Since you decide. Just make it healthy they will eat that will a smile on their face just the same...

Back
Top Bottom