best filter for a 55+ gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rena filatar xp3. Cheaper than the fluvals. Big media baskets for plenty of customization room. Only around $114 on thatpetplace.com. I have one on my 150g with a cascade 1000 and i love it.

I'd go filstar xp Xl. Also called xp4. Not much more money and u get extra media basket. I have an xp3 and xp4 on my 72 and love them. Moving them to my 90 gallon next week hopefully.

I'd go filstar xp Xl. Also called xp4. Not much more money and u get extra media basket. I have an xp3 and xp4 on my 72 and love them. Moving them to my 90 gallon next week hopefully.

I was going to say xp4 but i figured the xp3 is a bit cheaper haha. Im getting a xp4 when i get the money

I was going to say xp4 but i figured the xp3 is a bit cheaper haha. Im getting a xp4 when i get the money

I don't see much of a flow difference between the 2 but I do like the extra basket for more bio media. Both kick butt!

Ya they do. I like them much better than fluvals

I've never used fluval on bigger tanks but my 36 has fluval 206 canister and a fluval u4 underwater internal underwater filter and waters ultra clear. Love the u4 it has a multiple output options but is rather large. U can see in secon pic it's on left side. Love the spray bar built into it so I can output water throughout the height of tank

Attachments

• image-1628754001.jpg
    image-1628754001.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image-3926942748.jpg
    image-3926942748.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 72
I had a xp2 on my 55, replaced it with an AC 110 and now the XP2 filters dust on a workbench in the garage.

A canister for a 55 fresh is overkill, do reg WC and there should be no problem unless your stocking heavy BL fish or turtles. Do weekly changes and clean your media occasionally is all. If you look at the history of fish keeping a lil motivation and dedication you don't need a $300 canister to provide fish with the right parameters. Get a good test kit and you'll be surprised at how well an average HOB filter does ( with reg maintenance and water changes) without lining the pockets of the neckties laughing all the way to the bank. I own canisters, HOBS, and submersibles, same stuff different day. Unless your running salt, GF, BIG tank, or turtles, just do water changes, your wallet will thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
110 is best hob in my opinion. So I'm taking it u didn't like the filstar?

It's not that I didn't like it, it just wasn't necessary . I keep same params. With a filter 1/3 the price. Clamps and hose maintenance and everything else eliminated by simply checking water.

It's not that I didn't like it, it just wasn't necessary . I keep same params. With a filter 1/3 the price. Clamps and hose maintenance and everything else eliminated by simply checking water.

I didn't want the big bulky hob being visible ( run open top tank) and if you look around you can get good prices. The ac 110 is 65 bucks and the xp2 is 100 and xp3 is 110. It's a matter of preference and opinion. I replaced an ac70 and biowheel400 that clogged weekly ( highly stocked tank) and I barely have to touch the canisters monthly. You can never have too much filtration or filter media thus why I prefer canister. I agree they're pricy unless you look around and don't pay store prices.

I didn't want the big bulky hob being visible ( run open top tank) and if you look around you can get good prices. The ac 110 is 65 bucks and the xp2 is 100 and xp3 is 110. It's a matter of preference and opinion. I replaced an ac70 and biowheel400 that clogged weekly ( highly stocked tank) and I barely have to touch the canisters monthly. You can never have too much filtration or filter media thus why I prefer canister. I agree they're pricy unless you look around and don't pay store prices.

Yes, shop around. If you have a 110 that clogs weekly you need to be giving up fish or selling turtles. Lol, I'm just giving advice to someone who owns an average 55. I can advise on a tank full of plecs or GF's but there common fish. If you've got the cash.. Make a 40g sump, for average Jo-blo, maintain your tank if yove got an extra 30 min a week. The intake and spray bar is the main reason I pulled my canister for athstetics

There's tons of options, it's all in what's in your budget.

I have 2 emperor 400 on my 75. They do a great job BUT I don't recommend them due to they sound like a freight train idling in my living room. If you go with hob is go with aquaclear.

Whats the difference between a bio wheel n a plain filter? Is bio wheel much better

A bio wheel is another media that sits in front of a spray bar in the emperor and builds bacteria on it. the spray bar sprays unfiltered water from the pickup tube on it and it spins witch helps with filtration. some filters just have it on the discharge side. some have none. Its just more surface for the BB to grow on. It may do more but this is my understanding of it. Disadvantage they can be noisy

Back
Top Bottom