Best KH/GH for Convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinB

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anybody have opinion (putting aside their current natural tap water condition) what the ideal hardness is for convicts or CA cichlids in general?

I have just gotten a test kit for this, and I have about 2.5KH, and 3GH (43/44 ppm). According to the sheet in api kit, cichlids in general like 50+. So maybe I should raise this a bit with baking soda? Or will I get some natural cycles of concentration in tank because of evap? Actually that's probably why I am at 40 now. I will test my tap, but I bet my tap water is 20-30ppm.

Thanks,
Kevin

I would not raise it and leave it as is. The ancestors of the convicts you have, have not seen wild water in many many generations so your tap water is just fine. Fluctuation in water parameters is much more harm full than have parameters a little off and constant. Convicts have been breeding happily in NY water fore decades.

I would not raise it and leave it as is. The ancestors of the convicts you have, have not seen wild water in many many generations so your tap water is just fine. Fluctuation in water parameters is much more harm full than have parameters a little off and constant. Convicts have been breeding happily in NY water fore decades.

Sound advice there

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would drip acclimate then and forget about messing with KH and GH this can open up a whole can of worms including ph crash which trust me you don't want.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

True but there are safe ways of doing it like mixing RO and tap. I'm just curious for my own edification. I know convict cichlids are basically aquatic cockroches as far as hardiness.

True but there are safe ways of doing it like mixing RO and tap. I'm just curious for my own edification. I know convict cichlids are basically aquatic cockroches as far as hardiness.

True to the cockroaches...

Mine was scrapping with my Texas, a solid 3" than him (almost double his size) and not only did he survive; he made the Tex back down! The Tex doubled his efforts though...

But yeah. Fish or water conditions, you don't really need to be worried about them.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom