Best Play Sand feom Lowes or Home Depot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good threa I'm also looking for a good thick sand to get for Home Depot

How big is ur tank? Might be better off getting the quality stuff

Mine is a 55 but I'm working on a budget lol so 5 bucks on each sand bag sounded good lol what do u suggest

1 bag will need to be clean with about 50gallons or more (homedepot).. Despite the cleaning. It will produce brown algae. That you will have to clean every other week..off sand, walls, decor...

I used Home Depot play sand. It was 4.99 for its worked good for me. No algae or anything.

Attachments

• image-3839530536.jpg
    image-3839530536.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 186
I can only find substrates in 20lb bags is there some place where I can purchase 50lbs

Home depot / Lowe's

The play sand and the general purpose sand can be both used. I've never had a problem with brown or any other type of algae. Just make sure you rinse it real good to remove the dust or fine particles of sand in it. It still may make your water cloudy but the filters should clear it up after a couple days.

I have 6 or 7 bags of the play sand in my sump and my 180 gallon Malawi tank. Also I have half a bag mixed with a black gravel in my 20 gallon planted tank.

Another option would be to get blasting sand from tractor supply company and I believe it has also been found at menards

Another good option is pool filter sand. It's a larger grain than play sand. It stays put better. It's important when you start adding flow to your tank. Finer sand seems to get pushed around more than PFS.

But then if I use regular sand as opposed to Live sand which will cost 100.00 to do my tank. How long will it take for my tank to cycle if I used play or pool sand

Depending on your stock size you could instantly be cycled with enough seeded filter material. If you can find a friend that will give you some old filters that have enough colonized good bacteria to combat the ammonia that your fish produce. I just succesfully cycled my 125 gallon tank in 8 days with seeded filter material from my 75 gallon tank. I never got a positive nitRITE test result. This confirmed the cycle was complete. NitrITE was always zero. Keep asking good questions and read that guide. You're on the right track.

Justin

Back
Top Bottom