Best pleco for a malawi tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douglas4701

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any suggestions for the best pleco to go in that which is a Malawian cichlid tank?

I love bristle nose plecos. Depending on the size of your tank you could go for a bigger species but they get rather large. I have a sailfin leopard pleco in my 180 and he is awesome, hes pushing 11" now. Bn plecos get to be 4 to 5 inches.

Is there a reason you feel that you need a Pleco? I find Its pretty easy to keep algae under control simply by limiting light and not over feeding. If you do develop algae its best to figure out why you have it than buying livestock to combat it. however if you do feel the need to buy something that eats then IMO nerite snails do a much better job getting rid if algae than a Pleco. They also have very little bioload and can not reproduce in freshwater.

The algae is not bad at all but i figured it was standard and I think they are cool fish. I keep my tank clean but would feed wafers.

i have a 13" sailfin pleco in my 120 gallon mbuna tank and he rocks it. Just acclimate slowly and whatever pleco you chose should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom