best rocks for aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ichslayer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What are the best rocks for malawi hap/peacock setup? I have cichlid substrate so I don't need rocks that help to buffer the ph. Mostly looking for something with mostly inert properties that stacks well and looks nice and is inexpensive. maybe something I can find at a landscape supply store. was thinking about making some terraces with some black slate rock. I put in that egg crate stuff underneath the substrate so I'm ready to rock. (so to speak)

What are the best rocks for malawi hap/peacock setup? I have cichlid substrate so I don't need rocks that help to buffer the ph. Mostly looking for something with mostly inert properties that stacks well and looks nice and is inexpensive. maybe something I can find at a landscape supply store. was thinking about making some terraces with some black slate rock. I put in that egg crate stuff underneath the substrate so I'm ready to rock. (so to speak)

Well I use Ocean Rock:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405698212.831095.jpg

I prefer the more natural look of it compared to slate or the smoother rock you sometimes see.
It's also great for fry as there are an infinite amount of hiding spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There's no "best" rock IMO, there's only a best set up/layout, and that depends on your fish.
Some popular rocks are Texas Holey Rock, or ceramic "Cichlid stones"

I have Cichlid stones, like em a lot. They are all caves, and super light weight.

Free ones! Take your pick..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1405701332665.jpg
    1405701332665.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 124
I use Texas holey rock. Base rock (ocean rock) seems to break apart too easily for me and leaves small particles all over the sand bed.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

you can use pretty much any rock you want, slate included. my preference is for water worn rocks, because they are smooth. I wouldn't have lava rock or base rock as in the picture above. I get my rocks from the shore of Lake Ontario, nicely smoothed by eons of wave action.

you can use pretty much any rock you want, slate included. my preference is for water worn rocks, because they are smooth. I wouldn't have lava rock or base rock as in the picture above. I get my rocks from the shore of Lake Ontario, nicely smoothed by eons of wave action.

I've found some amazing rocks in the fill piles, round as a baseball like they were rolled here from Iceland by a galcier, some incredible colors come up from 30 ft underground sometimes! But yes, I leave the jagged stuff behind for sure.. i like lace rock, it's a but rough but all the nooks and crannies are great for plecos and breeding cichlids..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I prefer Yorkstone, Basalt, or other types of rocks you find at landscaping companies since they're in my opinion more natural. Plus if you like algae growth, it'll make it a lot more natural looking. Ocean rock with algae on it looks.. well to me hard on the eyes. My tank below with algae growth on some regular rocks I found.

img_2994484_0_46c0d11a714538171b5df939118ccf85.jpg

Nice @sonic, what lights you use? And I use mostly Texas holey rock for my mbuna.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Granite is an inert rock, so it will not buffer your water at all. Good for lower pH aquariums really as it doesn't affect the pH

Well I use Ocean Rock:

View attachment 243569

I prefer the more natural look of it compared to slate or the smoother rock you sometimes see.
It's also great for fry as there are an infinite amount of hiding spots.

If you like the natural look you should be using the smooth rocks or ones similar to the ones sonics uses

Some pics from Malawi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1405735951238.jpg
    1405735951238.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 1405735960746.jpg
    1405735960746.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 94
Wow those pics of malawi are amazing! I personally just salvaged mine from the mountain near my house...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405743695.506979.jpg
I've got some weird stuff going on in the tank, trying some java fern and trying some shells. Although I kind of just like the bare rocks.

Yes it is. I was hoping to have the fountain fixed for it by the time I finished stocking, but it's not and I'd hate to rehome it. I may have to though... I've been keeping a close eye on it and been doing about 2 50% wc's a week.

vinegar test

What's this vinegar test? Acid test? I've seen it mentioned in this forum. What is it and how does it work?
I just checked out a supply store right near where i live and they've got some rocks that LOOK great. At 25 cents per pound the price is right!

If you get rock from a nearby hill or outside anywhere, do you have to boil to the rock to make sure you're not bringing back any pests?

I would imagine yes from a river or stream but I can't imagine putting anything dry in would cause issues but better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom