Best substrate for african cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What do you guys think is the best substrate for an African cichlid tank? I'm setting up a 55 gallon and I think I'm going to use sand, but I have no idea what kind of sand or what color to do??? Any advice will be greatly appreciated! :D

Hey there!

I use sand in my African tank because it is so much easier to clean and they like to move it around. I used play sand and washed it really really well and my tank cleared up in about a day. The play sand is not as light as pool filter sand color-wise but it fit with my decor. Whatever sand you decide to go with be sure to wash it really well!

I have pfs and it works great, and it is cheap too.

Ok :) I would like lighter sand in colour... Where would I be able to get pool filter sand? Also, what about crushed coral? I've heard some people use it for their cichlids. What kind (if any) would be good that I could buy from the lfs?

Some people put a bag of crushed coral in their filters to buffer the ph.
I bought my pfs from home depot, but u can buy it at a pool and spa store too.

Ok :) I would like lighter sand in colour... Where would I be able to get pool filter sand? Also, what about crushed coral? I've heard some people use it for their cichlids. What kind (if any) would be good that I could buy from the lfs?

I use crushed coral I'm my African tank and I love it. It's fine enough that the fish can still dig around in it yet coarse enough that the plants can still take root and not float away. Plus it helps bring the ph up which is great in an African tank because they like hard water with a high ph.

My cichlids love to dig in sand. They make dugouts. Finer sand is better....dont buy playsand. Pool filter sand is better .

I am getting ready to run a 75gallon cichlid tank. First time, currently have a 20g tetra tank.

I was told that to fine of a sand when it gets stirred up will get into a sump pump, which I hope to be running, and potentially harm the motor. How fine of a sand would this have to be and which would have a larger grain, PFS/p or play-sand?

I am getting ready to run a 75gallon cichlid tank. First time, currently have a 20g tetra tank. I was told that to fine of a sand when it gets stirred up will get into a sump pump, which I hope to be running, and potentially harm the motor. How fine of a sand would this have to be and which would have a larger grain, PFS/p or play-sand?

Pool filter sand is larger grain then play sand so I would go with pool filter sand.

The truth is, there is no substrate that is best for Africans. Africans in their native environment have areas of sand, areas of gravel, and areas of cobblestones, and they do just fine in any of those. Africans which are raised in captivity survive and thrive in everything from bare-bottom to cobbles. What it really comes down to is which you personally prefer. If I personally were going to use sand, I would use aragonite sand rather than play sand or pool filter sand, as that gives you both sand and the benefit of higher pH ~ so it would actually benefit the fish. Personally, I keep my Africans with a substrate of gravel and crushed coral and they do just fine. They burrow in it, they pick up rocks and mouth them and then spit them out. They build nests, etc.

How large is your gravel? 0.5" or bigger? Or are you talking more like pea gravel. I am thinking of putting a bag of crushed coral in my sump, would this work as well as putting it in the substrate.

Here is a shot of my DIY sump. 15g tank. Yes, the silicone job sucks but I will trim it up a bit.

Attachments

• image-71990143.jpg
    image-71990143.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 205
I bought a huge bag of washed white play sand at Home Depot for under $5. It's been working out great for me.

Black diamond blasting sand mixed with oolite aragonite does very well I'd do a ratio of 3black:1aragonite the aragonite will help with Ph and the black diamond will help show off there colors.

I was able to get ahold of some silica sand for free so that is what I have in my tank. It's white, but I have a black background so it works out good in my tank.

The only issues I had was sand getting into my filter, I turned it on too soon before it settled. I did end up needing to buy a new propeller for my filter, although my husband just ended up buying me a new filter with more power so I can't complain to much about that upgrade.

How large is your gravel? 0.5" or bigger? Or are you talking more like pea gravel. I am thinking of putting a bag of crushed coral in my sump, would this work as well as putting it in the substrate.

Here is a shot of my DIY sump. 15g tank. Yes, the silicone job sucks but I will trim it up a bit.

The gravel I use is standard aquarium gravel, about 1/4". Crushed coral in the sump will work just as well as putting it in the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom