Best substrate for Oscar + Dempsey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I have finally decided to sell my saltwater tank and come back to chiclids which are 100x cooler than saltwater fish.

Anyways, I plan on purchasing a 75gallon tank and housing a Tiger Oscar and a Jack Dempsey I was wondering what the best substrate would be on the bottom for them; should I go gravel or sand? By the way Im planing a simple setup of one large piece of drift wood in the middle with 2 caves on either side.

i personally like sand for my jacks, but with my oscar i have gravel, just because he is so dirty. I typically use pool filter sand ( five bucks for a bag thats fifty pounds at namco!) it is in with my red devil, and soon to be, with my apistogrammas! If you can go for a bigger tank, id say go for that, too.

I'm a huge fan of sand substrates; it'll be easier to keep clean with such messy eaters as you're looking into; the crud will sit ON the sand, rather than falling into the gravel.

A 75g would work, but I'd shoot for the 90g if you have the resources.

with my gravel i always find it easier to vacuum it out, and yeah, if you can do 90, definately do it. I guess the sand/rock thing is all personal preferance, I have an albino oscar with white rock and it looks awesome. What kind of filtration are you looking into?

405's are pretty good, and I particularly like how the magnum 350 works. Throw two on there and it's lookin pretty good IMO.

Back
Top Bottom