Best Tank Mates For German Blue Rams - 20 Gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sry Scotty, I wasn't trying to hijack your thread. Just felt you were getting incorrect info. So again I apologize.

I also agree with aaron on the three pairs. That is what I'm shooting for in my 40b. If you decide to go that route. I would advise as I was to either get mated pairs or get a Grp and let them pair before putting then in the main tank. I'v been told if you put singles of say golden and German blue's in the tank they could choose each other as mates. So you could end up with a gold mated to a German blue.

I am not really looking to breed the rams. I was just thinking that if I got a male and female, there would be less commotion going on. Fry would just be a really cool bonus.

Btw it's fine :)

Guys remember the OP is working with a 20gal tank here, not a 40B. I think he is good with just a single pair of GBR.

This may or may not be true; I've read several accounts of pairs becoming aggressive towards tank mates or each other, and it appears to be related to the availability of hiding spots. It would appear there may be a little more to it then just getting a pair ;).

In my experience with all the rams I have had they will pick on each other before anyone else.

It's fine, Wy :)

What does everybody think of my stocking plan?

2 German Rams (Added Last)
1 Upside Down Cat
5-7 X-Ray Tetra or something similar
A Betta (Wild Type or Female most likely. 2 gal back up tank)
Then maybe a smaller school of humming bird tetra, or ottos. From what I have read online about the humming bird tetra: They are fast like a hummingbird, people who have them in their tanks really enjoy them, and they are bottem dwellers. Would this be okay with the rams? I just think they would be pretty funny to have.

I am pretty sure that this would be fully stocked.
By the way, I thought I would let you know that I may upgrade to a 25 gal tank, because it has t5 lighting. (People tell me that is really good) and it is only $20 more than the 20 gal.

I suggest skipping the upside down cat and go with a color variation of ancistrus ( bushynose albino, blue eye, super red, green dragon, chocolate) then a small school of cardinal tetras. Rams can be sensitive and they would appreciate a brave tank mate that doesn't scare easy

I suggest skipping the upside down cat and go with a color variation of ancistrus ( bushynose albino, blue eye, super red, green dragon, chocolate) then a small school of cardinal tetras. Rams can be sensitive and they would appreciate a brave tank mate that doesn't scare easy

I was thinking of those tetras, but I hear they are very sensitive. And I am already taking on the rams, so I want the others to be easy.

Why should I skip the upside down cat?

They are cool looking, but they look like they are dead where they float at the top of the tank "upside down ", lol. I love bristle nose,they are pigs. They'll benefit your tank by cleaning algea and eating any excess food that your other fish don't get to

They are cool looking, but they look like they are dead where they float at the top of the tank "upside down ", lol. I love bristle nose,they are pigs. They'll benefit your tank by cleaning algea and eating any excess food that your other fish don't get to

Wouldn't shrimp and snails do that? Also, I don't think I want to get a pleco since they get large -ish, and I don't want to re-home any of the fish. But there is no good reason the upside down cat would be bad for the tank? Don't they eat algae to?

No there's no reason to not have an upside down cat at all. Bristle nose actually stay at 4 to 5 inches and never grow bigger and are the ultimate cleaners (besides shrimp). The cat would actually be bigger than a bristle nose pleco. Common plecos will get huge, those are the ones you're thinking of. Shrimp would be a good choice though if you are planning on a modest amount of plants being in the tank since both them and the rams do better in planted surroundings

No there's no reason to not have an upside down cat at all. Bristle nose actually stay at 4 to 5 inches and never grow bigger and are the ultimate cleaners (besides shrimp). The cat would actually be bigger than a bristle nose pleco. Common plecos will get huge, those are the ones you're thinking of. Shrimp would be a good choice though if you are planning on a modest amount of plants being in the tank since both them and the rams do better in planted surroundings

I think I am going to go with the upside cat for now, because when I saw one in the lfs, I thought it was so funny zooming around the tank. But maybe if I have a lot of algae I'll trade out for a bristle nose pleco.

And yah, I'm going to have lots of plants.

Do the upside down cats eat algae?

I've never personally researched the upside down cat. It's definitely unique. I would google it or hope another member replies. The problem with many cats is that they don't eat as much algae as people originally hope they will. On the other side of that... Many catfish prefer meaty food over algae, in fact, some different genus of cats are solely carnivorous. You really shouldn't have an algae problem though unless you are over feeding or giving your tank too much light anyways.

I've never personally researched the upside down cat. It's definitely unique. I would google it or hope another member replies. The problem with many cats is that they don't eat as much algae as people originally hope they will. On the other side of that... Many catfish prefer meaty food over algae, in fact, some different genus of cats are solely carnivorous. You really shouldn't have an algae problem though unless you are over feeding or giving your tank too much light anyways.

Here is some stuff I found.

They reach 3-4 inches
They like soft water - so that will be good for the rams
They eat larvae and algae

So I think they would be okay, and they are just so cute. Haha.

Back
Top Bottom