Best way to......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the best natural way to increase GH & KH for a cichlid tank? I have added lava rock so far, and plan on getting some tufa rock.

The lava rocks won't do anything for the hardness. Are you using a canister filter? Put crushed coral into the filter. It will increase the hardness along with the pH (to an extend it will increase the pH).

Some crushed coral in a filter bag works pretty well, but I am noot sure why you want to....I know lots of people living in Regina and Saskatoon quite successfully breeding and raising both Tangs and Malawis in unadulterated local water.

The tank was filled with soft water instead of hard water, I thought the water softner was turned to bypass, so it is quite soft. Gh is 40 and Kh is70. Unless those numbers are fine. I do have 2 cannister filters so I will try some crushed coral. Thanks Guys!

I tested the water with and without the water softner, what a difference! I didn't think it would make so much difference. The hard water, kh is 160, the soft is 70, the hard water the gh is 130, the soft is 40. Amazing.

Back
Top Bottom