Bichir w/ Frontosa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a bucket of fish on Craigslist. It had a good size frontosa, pleco, bichir eel and two othe cichlids for $15. I ended up turning in the two odd ball cichlids cause they where SA ($10 store credit)... Score I know.

Anyway I wanted to know if I can keep the bichir eel with my frontosa? I have him in the tank now without problems. The only thing is it doesn't get much foo cause they eat it before it hits the bottom. What should I do about feeding? Maybe feed at night? Do they eat NLS pellets?

Have you tried feeding a little extra? It may not all get eaten in a few minutes but my cichlids eat off the bottom as well... Never really any food waste from them

My fronts are eating the 1mm pellet. I was thinking of getting a bigger sinking for the eel. That way they can't eat it and it can hit the bottom.

i would try feeding the hikari carnivore pellets at night (lights out). the bichir should have no problem hunting on smell alone.

any idea what type of bichir it is? ornates for example can be a bit more snappy and may not go well with long finned fish like fronts

i would try feeding the hikari carnivore pellets at night (lights out). the bichir should have no problem hunting on smell alone.

any idea what type of bichir it is? ornates for example can be a bit more snappy and may not go well with long finned fish like fronts

I don't know what type. It's a solid light brown. He came with a frontosa and has been good so far

Frontosa are night fish. Feeding at lights out isn't gonna help. He's gonna have to learn to eat with the big boys. Can you ask the previous owner what he did?

I don't know what type. It's a solid light brown. He came with a frontosa and has been good so far

here is a link with some photos to help with identifying your bichir Bichir Species

i'm keeping 1 x delhezi and 1 x palmas polli with my fronts. no issue at all so far. these bichirs max out at about 14" and 12" respectively, so they are regarded as some of the smaller types.

Frontosa are night fish. Feeding at lights out isn't gonna help. He's gonna have to learn to eat with the big boys. Can you ask the previous owner what he did?

I got them from a random on Craigslist. She said they were he brothers and he left for collage. She couldn't care for them and just sold them. I got a deal lol

I can tell you right now that you Bichir is a Senegal. They say they max out at 12 inches but in reality 8-10 is more like it. I've kept 2 before and they never got too much bigger than 8inches.

Hikari Sinking Pellets are probably your best bet. Drop some one the left side of the tank. If your Frontosa goes over there. Drop a few on the right side of the tank.

here is a link with some photos to help with identifying your bichir Bichir Species

i'm keeping 1 x delhezi and 1 x palmas polli with my fronts. no issue at all so far. these bichirs max out at about 14" and 12" respectively, so they are regarded as some of the smaller types.

Senegalus and the Palmas varieties (Palmas Polli and Palmas Palmas) are the smallest. Any upper jaw species (outside of Ornate) is generally smaller than any lower jaw species. I have a vast knowledge about Polypterus :) kept them for a long time.

What do you think? Here are some pis, not the best pics he moves quick.

Attachments

• image-1675351560.jpg
    image-1675351560.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 133
  • image-3185578619.jpg
    image-3185578619.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 117
Back
Top Bottom