Bichir with cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach103

Aquarium Advice Regular
So after looking through all the threads about this i came to the conclusion there shouldn't be any problems putting him In the tank. I just have a territorial Johanni and with some if the cichlids being about 3-4 inches big will he be okay or should I wait till he's bigger. He is around 3 inches now but obviously skinnier

I always forget the basic but most important parts. It's a 55 with caves all on the left side and lots if swimming room on the right. The bichir is a Senegal.

I have a albino 3" bichir with my 3" peacocks and haps. They usually leave each other alone. Before that i had my bichir with my mbunas. I have a 40g breeder now and will be upgrading to a 90 -120 g tank. Peaceful combo IMO. The bichir will eat any fish it can fit in its mouth. So as long as your cichlids are bigger than you will be fine.

I'm going to give it a shot I was more worried about the Johanni bring aggressive but with the other cichlids he may never notice the bichir

Yeah you have to just monitor them. I had to get rid of my red jewel because it was nipping at my bichir and every thing else in the tank. Im
Thinking it all depends on your fish. But bichirs are very hardy and have hard scales to protect its body but not its fins. Goodluck tho. Bichirs are very interesting and a whole lot of fun to watch. Wait till you see it hunt down live fish and shrimp.

So I tried putting the bichir in the big tank and I think he's too small. I added him with two other cichlids and rearranged half of the tank at the same time. I saw him this afternoon in the corner with a missing fin and some damage to the back. I'm going to let him grow till about 6+ inches than try again as the bigger tank has more room for him to swim

55 gallon with maybe 13 cichlids, 5 danios and a bristlenose

Back
Top Bottom