Big 'Ol American Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't mean to say that an Oscar was a peaceful fish.

But at one point i had this Oscar with a Red Devil of equal size and i had to take out the Red Devil within 3 hours. It had almost killed the Oscar.

I hear this is a bit above normal aggression, but it seems that scenarios like this are commonplace, which is the main reason i would've removed the Oscar.

I didn't buy a pair. I bought 6 Texas, so i could be sure to get a male and female, which will either live alone or have a pair of Firemouths.

The 2 biggest look to be male and female though.

Also, any specific ways you recommend creating a spot only for the female? I hate the look of dividers...

As i said, the Oscar is to be removed when it is in danger. The Texas are too small... For now.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

In my opinion most Oscars could never stand up to a red devil at the same size.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, im not sure if it was Carpintis or Cyoganuttas (forgive my spelling but you know what i mean) they were labeled as "Texas Cichlid, $3.99", so im not sure. I will look and try to identify them, as well as post a pic of the biggest fish.

And yes, i want to get a breeding pair. I love the breeding colors of them, and i can sell the babies to a different store i know of, that pays me about $15 for them if they are 5-6 inches, and about 5 for a smaller one. So i will make my money back.

In my opinion most Oscars could never stand up to a red devil at the same size.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, i kinda knew that but did what i wanted to. I realized i had screwed up major, so i removed the Oscar to a spare 10 gallon overnight, and returned the Red Devil next day. Its healed now.

Also, i realize they can breed at 3-4 inches, so will the female be ok? Because i don't think i can make a spot just for her when the male is still small as well. And i cant find the average size for a female of either if the fish labeled as Texas, just a size for the male. What do you guys estimate for the max female size?

Its a Carpintis. Markings have a lot of differential in size.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438057695.811548.jpg

And the whole tank:ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438057723.544162.jpg

Oscar will be removed when needed.

Sorry for messy water, did a WC a lil while ago.

Nice looking tank, Oscar looks pretty big! You would need to start fresh honestly, putting anything in with him might start a fight, I know there are methods but I wouldn't risk it... I would have kept the red devil personally lol.as for my fish I had they were estimated as follows. Red devil 5.5inch green Texas 6inch,red terror 5 inch(Mayan)green terror4.5 before he died,:(, jaguar male 7inch, jaguar female 4 inch, which mated and dominated the tank,red top tiger mbuna 4inch, 9.5 inch common pleco, all in a 60 gal so it was not good ( as fun as it was) I made a big mistake over stocking like a fish store.?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, so far he is doing all right. I will keep him for now, because there is the slight possibility that i could get a 55, but its a 99% chance of NO. And anyways, im going to use hime to trade in for something else because im going to empty out a 29, and i don't know what to buy yet. So he stays until someone is in danger.

Any ideas for a 29? I was thinking a breeding pair of Jaguars?

Just kidding of course.

I uploaded a small clip from when I had my jags and fry, hasn't been published yet, I'll post as soon as it does.

Go to petco they have 1dollor per gallon up to 50 gal I think.

Yep. Ive used the sale before.

The problem is, they are all in my bedroom. The only way i would have space would be to remove the bed. So unless i find a different spot to put it, i wont be getting it.

Back
Top Bottom