Bioload scenerio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessiicaxrosex3

Aquarium Advice Freak
This question does not apply to me, since my tank is not over stocked. I know its controversial, but i'll ask anyway. If your fish tank is over stocked, but you do 50% wc every day/or every other day/ good filtration would it be okay to have the bigger bio load in the tank? (Not that id recommend it, but im curious.

This question does not apply to me, since my tank is not over stocked. I know its controversial, but i'll ask anyway. If your fish tank is over stocked, but you do 50% wc every day/or every other day/ good filtration would it be okay to have the bigger bio load in the tank? (Not that id recommend it, but im curious.

Generally I would not recommend it like yourself but many people do it. It's particularly common in African cichlid tanks because greater numbers means shared aggression. Keepers will overstock but will 'over filter' and do extra water changes.

Many responsible keepers may look at the risks of over stocking and be extra vigilant with tank husbandry to make the tank work. I guess you have to have experience with the requirements of the stock and determine what is best for the fish but as ever I wouldn't expect a one size fits all answer. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There's allot of factors to consider, there's no real universal answer IMO. The biggest thing I would think is how sensitive the given fish are to nitrates/ammonia and how stressful the potential over crowding can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

also it take great commitment to maintain something like that. miss 1 water change and disaster will happen.

I have 40 9 month old mbuna (10 acei, 10 yellow labs, and 20 demasoni) in a 60g so I'd say I'm pretty overstocked. My plan was to keep them until bioload or aggression became a problem and then trade in some of the males to get a good m:f ratio. I do weekly 50-60% water changes with thorough vacuuming and never go over 10-20 ppm max nitrates. Filter with an eheim 2217 and a power head with sponge filter to increase circulation and biofiltration.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 45 gal tank that is over stocked. I do about a 45% water change once a week.
My fish have never been sick and I rarely lose one. I have a hob Aqua Clear and an undergravel filter.

Back
Top Bottom