Birthday fish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mlani said:
I took some pics today. The quality isn't that great and in some they're blurry. They're fast fish. Lol!

I have the same one that is first in your list of pics. I think it is an Electric Blue Hap Ahli. It really brightened up after I switched to NLS Cichlid. Nice group of fish you have there. Is that a Ruby Red that I see in the other pics (the brownish fish)?

The top one? I was told it's a kimpuma? I'm new to these types of fish myself so any advice is welcomed :)

Attachments

• image-1085012079.jpg
    image-1085012079.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 101
Thank you. I've been relying on the mom at my mom and pop fish store to guide me with the fish in this tank. She is the one who said it was a kimpuma?
Tonight I did my usual rounds of checking levels and topping up tanks when I tested the 65 gal these guys are in my nitrites have gone from 0 to 1ppm is that normal when you add larger groups of fish at once?( I've only added one maybe two fish at a time before.)
I did a 50% pwc and I'm going to retest in the morning, good plan?? Or should I test immediately and do another pwc right away?

2-yellow labs - lake Malawi
2-labidochromis sp. hongi - lake Malawi
2-electric blues - what are they exactly I.e. electric blue jack Dempsey? Electric blue johanni? Etc.
3-rosaline sharks - India
2-blood parrots - SA
1-blue dragon goby - SA
1-red tailed shark - native to Thailand
1-synodontis catfish - SA and Africa
1-clown pleco - SA (amazon)
1-flash pleco - SA (Peru)

I don't know what the electric blue ones are called I was told just that electric blue cichlid. After posting pics I'm not even sure that the kimpumas are in fact that. Someone else posted they were hongi?

Mlani said:
I don't know what the electric blue ones are called I was told just that electric blue cichlid. ..

Yep, Sciaenochromis ahli (aka Haplochromis ahli, Cytrocara ahli).
Common name: Electric Blue Hap

Those guys sell for $25 as sub-adults in common pet stores. It's a beaut. Can get up to 7-8"

Looks like I have to learn another language with these guys ;-) I can't even pronounce half of the names. I'm still confused as to how the lfs can keep mixed cichlids in the display tanks and they're huge and healthy, but I'm being told to get rid of mine? I understand the food differences but there's foods that are lower in protein that can be safe for them and the water differences, the new cichlids were born and grown in the same water conditions of my tank. The aggression issues as they mature, I was told can be curbed by getting more females and increasing the hiding spots. I realize I'm taking a chance after reading all the threads related to mixing cichlids, but isn't that what we do every day in this hobby? We try and figure out the best compatible fish for the environment we provide? And even in the best of conditions some tanks have been completely wiped out. I asked for the most peaceful cichlids that could get along with the stock I currently had. I showed pictures of every fish that was in there and the 6 I brought home were recommended as the best fit.

Mlani said:
Looks like I have to learn another language with these guys ;-) I can't even pronounce half of the names. I'm still confused as to how the lfs can keep mixed cichlids in the display tanks and they're huge and healthy, but I'm being told to get rid of mine? I understand the food differences but there's foods that are lower in protein that can be safe for them and the water differences, the new cichlids were born and grown in the same water conditions of my tank. The aggression issues as they mature, I was told can be curbed by getting more females and increasing the hiding spots. I realize I'm taking a chance after reading all the threads related to mixing cichlids, but isn't that what we do every day in this hobby? We try and figure out the best compatible fish for the environment we provide? And even in the best of conditions some tanks have been completely wiped out. I asked for the most peaceful cichlids that could get along with the stock I currently had. I showed pictures of every fish that was in there and the 6 I brought home were recommended as the best fit.

The LFS typically has juveniles in their tanks. Even the bigger ones are usually still sub-adult. As well, they tend to overstock their tanks significantly, so the aggression is dispersed.

Mlani, yes I feel your pain. Most, if not all of us have. It's frustrating to get the straight truth. In fact, sometimes the truth is relative. There are exceptions to rules as well. You should take the advise of the LFS with you, and weigh it in with the advice that you will get from folks in forums like this. The latter will honestly be a far more accurate source of information. Take note of what your LFS has in stock, GO HOME, and post what you were considering to this forum. You will get mixed advice, and go with the popular opinion, but lean more towards the folks that are more experienced (note their rank/number of posts). Avoid impulse purchases, no matter how cool the fish is or how confident the LFS is that it will work out for you.

BTW: A agree with these things you noted:

- There are differences in foods, so stick with species that have similar food requirements.
- In some species aggression can be curbed by having more females than males. The males can harass the females to death (you can gues why).
- Hiding spots are a good idea for some species, such as Mbuna, simply because they are out of view of aggressors.

Just hang in there. you'll get the hang of it. Shoot I learn new things every day, and I frequenly learn that I had been doing something wrong or suboptimally. Just consider it part of the challenge. All fun hobbies are challenging.

I've taken your advice and here are some pictures of some fish I have a chance to purchase. Please let me know what you think? Will they work in my tank with the Africans I have?

Attachments

• image-3294398575.jpg
    image-3294398575.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 91
  • image-3065810968.jpg
    image-3065810968.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 79
  • image-1081408476.jpg
    image-1081408476.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1861835724.jpg
    image-1861835724.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 83
  • image-1791951693.jpg
    image-1791951693.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 71
I am sorry to burst your bubble but my Africans demolished my parrot they nipped him.. But do you know what type the blue ones are I have 1

Womble1234 said:
I am sorry to burst your bubble but my Africans demolished my parrot they nipped him.. But do you know what type the blue ones are I have 1

I've moved the SA's out, it wasn't anything to do with bursting my "bubble" they were a gift from my family and I was trying to figure the best way to handle the situation. So no worries :) I'm sorry to hear about your parrot fish. If you read the responses in this thread the name of the blue one is
Labenator65000 said:
Yep, Sciaenochromis ahli (aka Haplochromis ahli, Cytrocara ahli).
Common name: Electric Blue Hap

Mlani said:
I've taken your advice and here are some pictures of some fish I have a chance to purchase. Please let me know what you think? Will they work in my tank with the Africans I have?

I forgot to put the names sorry.
Haplochromis "ruby green"
Astatotilapia Nubila "Victorian cichlid"
Julldochromis Marlieri "Julies"
Mbipia Lutea "Spot Bar"
These are the names that were posted with the ads. Some didn't have names so I've been googling trying to find them. Any personal experience or feed back on the behaviors of these fish would be most welcomed :)

Mlani said:
I forgot to put the names sorry.
Haplochromis "ruby green"
Astatotilapia Nubila "Victorian cichlid"
Julldochromis Marlieri "Julies"
Mbipia Lutea "Spot Bar"
These are the names that were posted with the ads. Some didn't have names so I've been googling trying to find them. Any personal experience or feed back on the behaviors of these fish would be most welcomed :)

As these are all very peaceful lake Victoria cichlids my biggest fear for you is the common coloration between the mbipia lutea (a heavily debated species), Astatotilapia Nubila, and haplochromis sp. "ruby green". Two things you will experience from this is cross breeding and the chance of one dominant male in the tank causing the rest to not color up as much. Julie's can tend to get a little aggressive to more peaceful types but even more so with other Julie's. Some recommend only keeping a mated pair. It looks to me like you have a good mix though and you shouldn't have much of an issue with these.

I've never kept any of these personally but I have flame backs which are basically the same thing, very peaceful and love to dig in the sand. Do you have an idea what the 3rd one is. I did a quick search and couldn't find too much.

The name that's given for the third picture is Astatotilapia nubila. That's the one that I couldn't find a lot of info for myself. I've never seen it before either. So in your opinion, do you think these guys would work in my tank? Or should I skip the ruby greens? The breeder has invited me up to see the tanks this weekend, I don't want to waste their time if I'm not going to purchase.

So I picked up a boy girl pair of these two today. I also got a purple apple snail for my other tank. :)

Attachments

• image-3263935926.jpg
    image-3263935926.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 71
  • image-363063274.jpg
    image-363063274.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 75
The julie's will get killed in that tank so no to them plus they are from lake tanganyika and like really (hard) water to thrive more so than the Malawi.

Discusapisto said:
The julie's will get killed in that tank so no to them plus they are from lake tanganyika and like really (hard) water to thrive more so than the Malawi.

I'm going to sound like a complete moron,( I apologize to everyone who knows these fish really well in advance) which ones were the Julies? I took pictures of who I had in the tank already and what I was told their names were with me to the breeder this time. I really thought I brought home the right fish. We spent 4 hours talking about the fish and which ones would be the best fit for my tank and everything. I'm running out of tanks to split these guys up, I had to use a bucket to qt these last guys, cause my SA's are in my qt now. I'm starting to think I should've stuck with tropicals. It feels like everything I do with these Africans is wrong :-(

image-221815585.jpg

These are the ones in question and your doing fine. Don't stress Africans take time to learn. I used to say there is freshwater tropical fish to learn and than the cichlids because there are so many. They consist of such a large group of animals that span several continents. It takes some time you'll do just fine:)

Discusapisto said:
These are the ones in question and your doing fine. Don't stress Africans take time to learn. I used to say there is freshwater tropical fish to learn and than the cichlids because there are so many. They consist of such a large group of animals that span several continents. It takes some time you'll do just fine:)

Oh good! I didn't get any of those ones! Phew! Lol! I'm really finding out the same thing, there are so many types and most of them I can't even pronounce their names never mind spell them. I have a lot to learn with these guys that's for sure. It's a good thing I like a challenge ;-)

Back
Top Bottom