Black belt cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone have experience with the black belt cichlid? I've been observing them at the local fish store and they are very nice.

From what I've read, they can grow to about 12 inches and can be extremely aggressive. It seems like they need to be stocked in a large tank with other aggressive cichlids. I doubt they"ll be a good candidate for me, but figured I'd check.

I had one about five years ago and he was a mean son of a gun when reaching maturity, was aggressive up till then but insane after. I ended up selling him since he would no longer accept tankmates. I have a few friends in the club that keep them and the majority of them are in 8ft plus tanks which helps curb some aggression but tankmates must be chosen wisely.

Last edited:
I have a 8 inch blackbelt I'm trying to get rid of . You can have mine if your in the va area. He is aggressive but gets linked by my small female convict

I have a 8 inch blackbelt I'm trying to get rid of . You can have mine if your in the va area. He is aggressive but gets linked by my small female convict

I would post on Monsterfishkeepers.com, that's where I rehome most of my heavy hitters. I don't trust most people when it comes to rehoming large fish, for all I know they'll end up in a 29g tank. I always ask for photo's from their phones to prove my fish is going to a good home, it's not full proof but it's better than nothing. I've even given quizzes over the phone, asking things about nitrogen cycle and it's amazing how many people fail my simple test.

Last edited:
Lol will do . I would rather keep him but I need to cut back on my stock. My convict booted him from his cave and my other fish are getting the brunt of his aggression

Thanks for the offer, but I am not a good candidate to take him off your hands.

Hukit - that's worse than I expected. Now I"ll be steering clear of that cichlid. Sounds worse than a flowerhorn.

I wouldn't let anyone talk you out of something your interested in, I wasn't saying it's impossible because it's not...just possibly a tough road. I've kept hundreds of species of cichlids and some combinations have worked out and some haven't, but doesn't mean that you should not try and with this hobby you just never know.

Thanks for the support. I might have oversold my interest level. It was just a cool fish that I wanted to check into for my future big tank. Based on what you said and I read elsewhere, it just doesn't seem like a smart thing to do. I've already made stocking mistakes and it's not a good feeling. I tend to be a little lax with judgement from time to time (e.g. Idea of owning a pacu) so I'm trying to keep that in check!

Sometimes the only way forward is a few steps back, trying new things and learning from mistakes is what makes this hobby exciting. Now I'm sure I stole that from a fortune cookie but it still rings true.

You really need to look into the Festae, they're a little edgy but IMO theirs no better looking south american than those. Mine are slow growers and the largest two of seven are around 3.5" so I'm getting close to sexing them.

Last edited:
Yep. I am getting more excited about them by the day. I am pretty sure they are going to make the cut. I also have an urge to try the green terror again on the bigger tank. Right now, it just feels like I lost that challenge And need to
Make things right.

Yes they're up there on the aggression scale as a whole. I had nine measuring around 1.5" in a 180g by themselves they're now 3" and there has already been three fish killed by a couple of fish I'm assuming to be males but since they can't be sexed until around 4" or so.

Last edited:
Are they less aggressive with larger fish. I'm thinking I could let me other cichlids grow out first a little but before adding the festae. Maybe that will keep their attitudes at bay, if they are the smallest guys on the tank.

They are a very slow growing fish so depending on what else they're with the other cichlids will probably outgrow them. The males will reach up to 16" but the females stay smaller, this is my first time keeping them after a almost two year search to find them. I've got five F2's and had 4 F3's but I'm down to six, really hoping for a pair for these guys since their fry are swimming gold.

Back
Top Bottom