Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #1
5x5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Black belt cichlid

Does anyone have experience with the black belt cichlid? I've been observing them at the local fish store and they are very nice.

From what I've read, they can grow to about 12 inches and can be extremely aggressive. It seems like they need to be stocked in a large tank with other aggressive cichlids. I doubt they"ll be a good candidate for me, but figured I'd check.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...d+society.html
5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:03 AM   #2

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I had one about five years ago and he was a mean son of a gun when reaching maturity, was aggressive up till then but insane after. I ended up selling him since he would no longer accept tankmates. I have a few friends in the club that keep them and the majority of them are in 8ft plus tanks which helps curb some aggression but tankmates must be chosen wisely.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have a 8 inch blackbelt I'm trying to get rid of . You can have mine if your in the va area. He is aggressive but gets linked by my small female convict
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I meant to say punked my I phone changed it to linked
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 07-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #5

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek View Post
I have a 8 inch blackbelt I'm trying to get rid of . You can have mine if your in the va area. He is aggressive but gets linked by my small female convict
I would post on Monsterfishkeepers.com, that's where I rehome most of my heavy hitters. I don't trust most people when it comes to rehoming large fish, for all I know they'll end up in a 29g tank. I always ask for photo's from their phones to prove my fish is going to a good home, it's not full proof but it's better than nothing. I've even given quizzes over the phone, asking things about nitrogen cycle and it's amazing how many people fail my simple test.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Lol will do . I would rather keep him but I need to cut back on my stock. My convict booted him from his cave and my other fish are getting the brunt of his aggression
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 07-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
5x5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Thanks for the offer, but I am not a good candidate to take him off your hands.

Hukit - that's worse than I expected. Now I"ll be steering clear of that cichlid. Sounds worse than a flowerhorn.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #8

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I wouldn't let anyone talk you out of something your interested in, I wasn't saying it's impossible because it's not...just possibly a tough road. I've kept hundreds of species of cichlids and some combinations have worked out and some haven't, but doesn't mean that you should not try and with this hobby you just never know.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
5x5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Thanks for the support. I might have oversold my interest level. It was just a cool fish that I wanted to check into for my future big tank. Based on what you said and I read elsewhere, it just doesn't seem like a smart thing to do. I've already made stocking mistakes and it's not a good feeling. I tend to be a little lax with judgement from time to time (e.g. Idea of owning a pacu) so I'm trying to keep that in check!

Old 07-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #10

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sometimes the only way forward is a few steps back, trying new things and learning from mistakes is what makes this hobby exciting. Now I'm sure I stole that from a fortune cookie but it still rings true.

You really need to look into the Festae, they're a little edgy but IMO theirs no better looking south american than those. Mine are slow growers and the largest two of seven are around 3.5" so I'm getting close to sexing them.

Tags
cichlid, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com